People with money problems continuing to have children, why?

dereko1969

I haven't commented in the threads themselves as I knew I'd get flamed for it, but there have been quite a few people on recently who although they've been in financial problems already are continuing to have children.

I can't understand it myself, surely given the financial constraints some people find themselves in it is reckless in the extreme to add the additional costs of a child added to the likely reduction in income for the mother (in most cases).

Where people have been trying for their first child for a while I can understand that but not otherwise.

because people think its a moral right to have children! ist not. if you cant afford them dont have them, leave it to those who can.
same reason i dont drive a rolls royce!

If having children was based around finances then nobody would have them as there would always be that bill that needs to be paid first.

I am still in employment (thankfully) and since my brilliant fantastic beautiful son came into the world 19 months ago I have been much poorer financially but I am surviving. I would never go back to not having him for more disposable income in my pocket.

Or maybe the OP is just talking about people on social welfare?

A woman came to our door a few weeks ago asking for anything that we may be able to give her. She explained that she has nine children aged between 16 months and 14 years old and that her husband has left her. She said that she hasn't had any food for them that day and is reduced to be knocking on doors looking for help. I think that the OP is talking about cases like this one.

Personally, I find it very hard to decide what to think about this. I have given this lady some nappies, baby wipes and €20 which I had in my wallet while at the same time thinking 'what were you (the lady) thinking when you had so many children????'. I belong to the group which believes in having as many children as you can actually afford to feed, educate and clothe (sp?). I have one and don't plan on having any more. Also, I know that no matter what, and by that I mean the worst case scenarios, I will always be able to provide for him but I wouldn't be entirely confident that I would be able to provide for more.

Sounds genuine if she took the nappies and baby wipes

If she was a chancer she would have been strictly cash only and not have wanted to carry around those supplies with her

As mentioned above, unless financially comfortable, there will never be a right time to have children. Children, as lovely as they are, are a financial burden (this sounds bad), let's just say that it is expensive to raise kids. I think there is a difference here between people/couple, while maybe not particularly rich, wanted to start a family or expand their family and people/couples who already can not manage with the children they have and keeping on expanding their families. While we can not put everybody in the same basket, I think the latter scenario is a selfish one.

I'm definitely not talking about people on social welfare, i'm talking about the people on looking for advice in the money makeover section and elsewhere on the site who have been struggling financially for a few years yet have added to their family very recently (I think I remember a thread where there was a 2 month old child).

I'm not talking about people making lifestyle changes from having a child, that's normal, I'm talking about people who seem to be put to the pin of their collar already who then decide it's a good idea to have another child.

I love children, I hope to have one at some stage, but adding a child to the family when you're struggling financially doesn't compute for me.

Good thread. I've thought about this myself. My own sister who never planned on having children is now expecting her first. Why the change in attitude you ask? Well she thinks she will have a better chance in staying in her home if the bank seeks a repo!

Sounds genuine if she took the nappies and baby wipes

If she was a chancer she would have been strictly cash only and not have wanted to carry around those supplies with her

She sounded genuine and it would have been my shame not to help if I could. €20 and maybe another €6-€7 worth of supplies haven't altered the course of my life but they may have bought some sort of dinner for her family and kept her baby clean for a few days. If she wasn't genuine, well, that's her shame, not mine.

I don't care how many children people have as long as they don't expect other people to pay for them (beyond education etc).
Mind you I feel the same about old people; if they haven't made provision for their old age then what the hell are they doing hanging around?

I have four children. If things get bad we'll sell one. We can't decide to sell the good looking one or the youngest one. If it comes to it we'll probably sell the one that gets the best offer. ;)

Wait until your daughters get married Purple ;)

Our neighbour had three daughters get married the same year
Poor man, must have been broken :eek:

Mind you I feel the same about old people; if they haven't made provision for their old age then what the hell are they doing hanging around?

Deserves a thread on its own. What should they do?

Back on topic. I too wonder (sometimes) about people having several kids when they seem to live on hock. I have one particular family in mind who seem to live off cards and have 5 kids ranging ranging from 6 to 14 or so.

As I said I only wonder sometimes, ie: when I visit and leave the house with a headache. Funnily I have 4 siblings but my parents didn't live on hock, but back then people didn't as far as I know.

And who suffers in all this? .... the children.

There are lots of children out there suffering severe hardship because of the choices made by their parents.

....... but back then people didn't as far as I know.

We were brought up frugally. We didn't want and luxuries had to be earned.

Christmas did come once a year. Now people want it every day.

But the problem is that people can't afford it everyday anymore.

Wait until your daughters get married Purple ;)

Our neighbour had three daughters get married the same year
Poor man, must have been broken :eek:

I have two of them. I plan on getting them to sell a kidney to pay for each others wedding. That or work down mill.

we were brought up frugally. We didn't want and luxuries had to be earned.

Christmas did come once a year. Now people want it every day.

But the problem is that people can't afford it everyday anymore.

+1.

Back