People face losing money on shopping centre gift cards

Well then if I head off to a kiosk in Liffey Valley and buy a voucher and there's a little label on it saying that claims ultimately fall on a voucher company in Lithuania, that doesn't invalidate or compromise my rights as a consumer if it later turns out that there's something wrong with it.
Cards that can be used in multiple shops are categorised as electronic money gift cards and are governed under different legislation (see here).

Your rights are similar in the case of a voucher bought from a single shop that closes down. You're an unsecured creditor with little chance of getting anything.

There's nothing "wrong" with it. The kiosk sold it to you in good faith and didn't embezzle the funds.

If I buy an amazon voucher in a shop today and amazon goes into liquidation tomorrow why would the shopowner have any liability - legally or morally?
Slightly different.

If I go into Tesco today, buy a Tesco voucher, and it doesn't work tomorrow, of course the shopowner (Tesco) has a legal liability to me under consumer law.

If I go into Liffey Valley today, buy a Liffey Valley voucher, and it doesn't work tomorrow, of course the shopowner (Tesco) has a legal liability to me under consumer law.

On the other hand, if I buy an Amazon voucher, it should be fairly obvious to me that it's an Amazon product I'm buying, and I factor in Amazon's reputation in making the purchase. That's why there's won't be much of a market for vouchers branded in the name of an unknown foreign bank.

If I go into Tesco today, buy a Tesco voucher, and it doesn't work tomorrow, of course the shopowner (Tesco) has a legal liability to me under consumer law.
If it doesn't work for technical or other reasons then of course Tesco has a legal liability under consumer law.

If Tesco plc is insolvent then you are just another unsecured creditor, no?

I agree though that the average consumer would just assume that the funds go into some account managed by the shopping centre which are then distributed to the retailers when the cards are used.

If Tesco plc is insolvent then you are just another unsecured creditor, no?
I would have thought that customer money balances are protected in the event of an insolvency or other calamity and should be ringfenced for that purpose as holiday deposits and solicitor client account balances are legally mandated to be?

I would have thought that customer money balances are protected in the event of an insolvency or other calamity and should be ringfenced for that purpose as holiday deposits and solicitor client account balances are legally mandated to be?
Nope, not the case. If customer balances were universally protected there'd be no need for the government Deposit Guarantee Scheme.

In terms of e-money cards this is correct. In terms of retailer gift vouchers, it is not ringfenced.

The good news is all Payrnet cards were emoney cards and all funds are (should be) in safeguarding accounts. Some card issuers in the UK that used payrnet have already being able to move to a new processor.

But as usual you have the media wanting to create a scare story rather than spend a few minutes actually investigating and finding out the process.

Here's the first result when you google Payrnet balances - https://thefintechtimes.com/bank-of...tion-raises-fintech-concerns-and-disruptions/

Has journalism really got that bad here that they would rather cause people stress that reports a more balanced story?

It may take 2 - 3 weeks to move to a new processor, but unless there has been catastrophic breakdown in oversight by various central banks, the money is safe

Last edited:
In terms of e-money cards this is correct. In terms of retailer gift vouchers, it is not ringfenced.
The good news is all Payrnet cards were emoney cards and all funds are (should be) in safeguarding accounts. Some card issuers in the UK that used payrnet have already being able to move to a new processor.

But as usual you have the media wanting to create a scare story rather than spend a few minutes actually investigating and finding out the process.

Here's the first result when you google Payrnet balances - https://thefintechtimes.com/bank-of...tion-raises-fintech-concerns-and-disruptions/

Has journalism really got that bad here that they would rather cause people stress that reports a more balanced story.
It may take 2 - 3 weeks to move to a new processor, but unless that has been catastrophic breakdown in oversight by various central banks, the money is safe
Excellent, thank you.

It may take 2 - 3 weeks to move to a new processor, but unless there has been catastrophic breakdown in oversight by various central banks, the money is safe
If you read the press release the supervisor makes clear that it does not have assurance that client funds were actually segregated! The description of the control environment at the entity is pretty bad.

I agree that loss of some client funds would be unlikely but it would not be unheard of.

Just an up date on Gift Cards issued by Mahonpoint Shopping Centre in Cork:- All cards will be honoured by the end of September 2023 per their Information Desk Operative at the Centre. At the time of writing (18th September 2023) cards are not yet being honoured. But, I'll keep you updated.

Thank you Leper. Mrs Castro was affected too by the Mahon debacle, with less than 100 days til Christmas, Mahon should get the finger out and honour the cards.

Thank you Leper. Mrs Castro was affected too by the Mahon debacle, with less than 100 days til Christmas, Mahon should get the finger out and honour the cards.
Things happen in life. Tell her to move on...

They seem to be very slow and probably don't see it as a priority.

I'd certainly avoid one of their cards in future (we bought some whitewater ones for staff last year)

In customer service it's not the error or issue itself that matters - it's how you deal with the issue.

Here's updates direct from payrnet https://www.payrnet.lt/

Just an up date on Gift Cards issued by Mahonpoint Shopping Centre in Cork:- All cards will be honoured by the end of September 2023 per theInformation Desk Operative at the Centre. At the time of writing (18th September 2023) cards are not yet being honoured. But, I'll keep you updated.
Mahon Point Shopping Centre are now honouring cards and in some cases are updating "use by date" - We spent all ours in Mahon Point Shopping Centre last week. (Just posting as I said I'd advise of update).

I won't be buying Gift Cards again under any circumstances.

Mahon Point Shopping Centre are now honouring cards and in some cases are updating "use by date" - We spent all ours in Mahon Point Shopping Centre last week. (Just posting as I said I'd advise of update).

I won't be buying Gift Cards again under any circumstances.
As far as I am aware, the One For All gift cards are now valid for 18 months as opposed to 12 months which they used to be for..

Back