People based in the Republic of Ireland holding "old" £ sterling notes will probably need to convert them into Euro before 30 September 2022!

Jim Stafford

People based in the Republic of Ireland holding £ sterling notes will probably need to convert them into Euro before 30 September 2022!

Many Irish households have a small stash of sterling notes to use whilst travelling to the UK. However, the Bank of England have issued new £20 and £50 notes made of polymer and they have advised that 30 September 2022 is the last day you can use the "old" notes.

If you are living in the UK you can swap "old" notes into the new notes before 30 September easily enough. (See link to BOE website below.) However, if you are living in Ireland and not travelling to the UK before 30 September 2022, it seems the most pragmatic (but costly) step to take is to convert them into € now and then purchase the new notes when you need them.

Exchanging old banknotes

bankofengland.co.uk • 5 min read

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to be these notes?
Boulton and Watt £50
Adam Smith £20

50-specimen-back.jpg

20-specimen-back.jpg

But won't you still be able to exchange the old notes into new notes at a UK bank branch the next time you're in the UK, even after September.

But won't you still be able to exchange the old notes into new notes at a UK bank branch the next time you're in the UK, even after September.

That is the point. 30th September is the cut off date for everyone who has these notes, whether they are in Ireland or the UK.

So if you have these notes and you don't go to the UK until after 30th Sept, they are dead.

Brendan

I believe you could deposit them into a UK bank after 30th September, but you would need to have a UK bank account. Alternatively you could convert them directly with the Bank of England provided you have the necessary identity papers etc

Jim Stafford

What would happen too currency exchange houses based around the world with stock of Uk notes in this case ?

Hi Jim

How is that any different to what happens now? Something is changing on the 30th September.

Brendan

You could always travel up to Newry buy some cheap alcohol and exchange it while doing that

I had trouble using old notes recently in shops in the UK even though still legal tender. I just walked into Banks and exchanged them.

I tried to hand over some older sterling pound coins in the Duty Free in London recently (in an effort to offload them, as I had them for a few years in a drawer and thought it would be a good way to use them up) - they were not accepted. I was advised to go the the Bank of England to exchange them.

I walked into our local Bank of Ireland (small town, small branch) last week with my little stash of 20 & 50 pound notes and asked the cashier to swap them for the new version. No problem, Done immediately and walked out with my new horrible looking plastic notes

September 30th is the last day for general use in retail stores and regular transactions.

After this you simply walk into a bank and, assuming it's a bank with tellers, the notes will be exchanged

They'll probably do this for a couple of years or more.

I certainly had no issue in Coventry back in early 2020 with £5 & £10 notes which were withdrawn in 2017.

I have a serious amount of sterling coins including the old pound coins ( and 5 10 pound notes) Anyone know if I can exchange these in a bank up north still?

I did.
Not much in it for the owners of foreign exchange houses based worldwide would may not be even able too locate the uk on a map.
The rules applying too the notes are the same wherever anybody is located in the world. As @deanpark says, it's difficult too understand what your point is too be honest.

People based in the Republic of Ireland holding £ sterling notes will probably need to convert them into Euro before 30 September 2022!

Many Irish households have a small stash of sterling notes to use whilst travelling to the UK. However, the Bank of England have issued new £20 and £50 notes made of polymer and they have advised that 30 September 2022 is the last day you can use the "old" notes.

If you are living in the UK you can swap "old" notes into the new notes before 30 September easily enough. (See link to BOE website below.) However, if you are living in Ireland and not travelling to the UK before 30 September 2022, it seems the most pragmatic (but costly) step to take is to convert them into € now and then purchase the new notes when you need them.

Exchanging old banknotes

bankofengland.co.uk • 5 min read

Crikey, I always have a small stash just for going to Liverpool FC games! Must check what I have and cash them in

Back