Pensions Fees

poppie

Hi, there.
I'm sure this has been asked before. I just can't quite get my hands on the straight answer. Maybe there isn't one !
Recently got some advice regarding starting a pension.
This was in the proposal letter;
"
  • The administration on this plan carries a 1% per annum base Fund Management Charge. Additionally, you will receive 95% allocation of funds. There are no consultation charges for ongoing advise on this plan.
Am I understanding correctly. For everything €100 I pay into this pension plan €5 will go on fees/commission.

Is this the standard rate?

Please help!

Thank you

IMHO, this is a crazy high fee/charge.

Is it standard? I don't know, but it is fairly common, I suspect.

By shopping around you can get 100% allocation rate.

What type of pension is it? PRSA? RAC? AVC?

IMHO, this is a crazy high fee/charge.

Is it standard? I don't know, but it is fairly common, I suspect.

By shopping around you can get 100% allocation rate.

What type of pension is it? PRSA? RAC? AVC?
PRSA

Thank you. That was my initial instinct. BUT for a complete novice, this language is foreign and "shopping" around for financial products a minefield.

I might as well have "fool" written on my forehead

Any recommendations where one could shop for genuine good advice?

It sounds like a Standard PRSA you're being offered.

There are two types of PRSA (Standard PRSA & Non-Standard PRSA) and they have different charging structures depending on where you get it.

95% allocation rate is effectively an ongoing 5% subscription fee and this would be most common when going direct to providers or through a bank. PRSA's can be very expensive products with a charging structure like this.

If you're happy with a Standard PRSA then you can get one online with 100% allocation on an execution only basis (i.e. no advice at set up stage or ongoing) or you can get a Non-Standard PRSA with a broker on a similar basis for a fee.

Non-Standard PRSA's have more funds so they may have higher management fees.

Kevin
www.thepensionstore.ie

Last edited:
It sounds like a Standard PRSA you're being offered.

There are two types of PRSA (Standard PRSA & Non-Standard PRSA) and they each have different charging structures depending on where you get it.

95% allocation rate is effectively an ongoing 5% subscription fee and this would be most common when going direct to providers or through a bank. PRSA's can be very expensive products with a charging structure like this.

If you are happy with a Standard PRSA then you can get one online with 100% allocation on an execution only basis (i.e. no advice at set up stage or ongoing) or you can get a Non-Standard PRSA with a broker on a similar basis for a fee.

Non-Standard PRSA's have more funds so they may have higher management fees.

Kevin
www.thepensionstore.ie
Thanks so much! Now why couldn't Google just tell me that! Lol

When the PRSA legislation was originally passed, the fee/commission was capped at 5%. So, guess what!!! Nearly all providers/brokers charge 5%.
Search here for "execution only brokers" and you'll get a few recommendations.

Does your employer offer any pension scheme? Usually, an occupational pension scheme offered by an employer has much lower charges than a personal PRSA.

When the PRSA legislation was originally passed, the fee/commission was capped at 5%. So, guess what!!! Nearly all providers/brokers charge 5%.
Search here for "execution only brokers" and you'll get a few recommendations.

Does your employer offer any pension scheme? Usually, an occupational pension scheme offered by an employer has much lower charges than a personal PRSA.
Thank you! I will certainly do that search. No pension scheme offered by employer. So flying solo ...

Back