Pension scheme closed to new members - how to check?

Calico

Hi All,

I'm currently working for a small organisation with only a handful of employees. Since joining the company a number of years ago I was led to believe that the company pension scheme was closed to new entrants. However, I have reason to believe that this may not have been the case, and that joining the scheme may not have been offered to me (or any other employees). I believe it may actually have been a mandatory requirement of the scheme for it to be offered to employees.

Does anyone know how I might go about finding out for sure one way or the other? I can't ask the trustees or my employer without it seeming suspicious.

you could ask one of your work colleagues who is in the scheme for a copy of the scheme rules booklet

Bit of info at [broken link removed] and at pensions.ie

There is mandatory requirement for them to make you aware of possible pension options.

Hey Calico

strange one this.

If the pension is operational then there is a legal requirement on trustees to give you a booklet as a "potential" member of the scheme. So if you request a booklet and are refused they've renaged on their obligations as trustees or the scheme is closed to you and you are not a "potential" member.

So ask for a booklet and assume they're not the type to break the law.

Back