Penalty points for no NCT.

Towger

According to the news we will now get 5 penalty points for not having or 3 for driving a car which failed the NCT. By the sounds of it outside Deansgrange test centre (and others) will overtake the Stillorgan dual carriage way as the Garda's favourite hotpot issuing tickets!

According to the news we will now get 5 penalty points for not having or 3 for driving a car which failed the NCT. By the sounds of it outside Deansgrange test centre (and others) will overtake the Stillorgan dual carriage way as the Garda's favourite hotpot issuing tickets!

They need to enforce more against dangerous driving. Noticeable problem now of people driving through roundabouts without stopping or yielding to people already on the roundabouts! The amount of people holding mobile phones to their ears while driving is still unbelievable. Driving behind them is risky as they don't signal when turning off the road. On the M50 a lot recently. The weaving to and fro over the new three lane system including overtaking at speed on the inside is wreckless. Where are all the promised cameras? Penalty points using camera evidence is the fairest system.

Slighty off point and excuse my stupidity..I have a car registered in January 2006. Is it in January 2010 it will be due for the NCT? My confusion arises because i think a garage would regard the car as a four year old which is when the test is required.

I hope they enforce this rule then. I have seen loads of car's without valid nct, which always made me wonder why i used to fork out for a service and then the nct on my old car. Since my oh's car failed the nct last month, he's been driving my old car and i have been on the lookout to see how many people are driving on an expired test, and there's loads out there.

Just another way for the goverment to get more money from the joe public . They are going to force us to buy a new car, like it or not.

Goverment here is only enforcing the law - no car should be on the roads without the appropriate NCT.

The number of cars without NCT is horrendous.
Does this apply to foreign reg cars? presumably not as there is no record of them. It is my understanding that foreign cars belonging to residents in Ireland who have owned the cars for longer than six months overseas, must be registered here in Ireland.

Just another way for the goverment to get more money from the joe public . They are going to force us to buy a new car, like it or not.
Agree. It is another revenue generating ploy on the part of the Government. It is a bit ridiculous that a four year old car requires an NCT when it should apply to much older vehicles. Their time would be better spent trying to address the problem of boy racers and their dangerously modified cars.

No NCT, 5 points. Hitting a bridge because you can't understand that a 15' tall truck won't fit through a 14' bridge, 3 points. Slight error in the order of priorities IMO.

Goverment here is only enforcing the law - no car should be on the roads without the appropriate NCT.

The number of cars without NCT is horrendous.
Does this apply to foreign reg cars? presumably not as there is no record of them. It is my understanding that foreign cars belonging to residents in Ireland who have owned the cars for longer than six months overseas, must be registered here in Ireland.

In fairness, I have been come on Garda roadchecks in recent weeks and they have seemed to be impounding foreign cars by putting them on removal trucks. Has anyone else seen this e.g. Just off the M1 exit at Airside?

No NCT, 5 points. Hitting a bridge because you can't understand that a 15' tall truck won't fit through a 14' bridge, 3 points. Slight error in the order of priorities IMO.

How do you make that out? Driving an unsafe car is far more likely to result in a fatality than a truck hitting a bridge, I think.

How do you make that out? Driving an unsafe car is far more likely to result in a fatality than a truck hitting a bridge, I think.
No NCT does not mean that a car is unsafe, and there's the difference !
My car did't have an NCT for ages. However when it did have it, the guy at the centre said it was in great condition.

Why would a foreign registered car need an NCT ? they have their own testing in respective countries. if a person is living rather than visiting ireland then they need to register the car in Ireland - they then need to do an NCT when they change the registration. this however does not always happen :)

its great news anyway - the NCT test is probably the cheapest car check over that you can get in the country. there are very few garages that have the equipment that NCT centers have and if they do have them they will charge you a lot more than the cost of the NCT.

No NCT does not mean that a car is unsafe, and there's the difference !

Be careful about making general assumptions based on your own limited experience. Obviously, not every car that takes the NCT is unsafe. Obviously, some of them are. The NCT system is a powerful "motivator" and undoubtedly has contributed to road safety. Most countries have a similar system, and I would be wary about driving in the countries that don't.

It's the 3 points for driving a car that failed the NCt that's also a problem. My car failed last year as one of the headlights wasn't correctly aligned. Fixed it that day but took 3 weeks for the retest. I would have been annoyed to get 3 points for that when it's only 2 for speeding.

NCT phone engaged all day. Website slow and not functional. Are they on a privilege day too or just busy? Slim

It's the 3 points for driving a car that failed the NCt that's also a problem. My car failed last year as one of the headlights wasn't correctly aligned. Fixed it that day but took 3 weeks for the retest. I would have been annoyed to get 3 points for that when it's only 2 for speeding.

I doubt if that would be a problem, as it is legal to drive while waiting for a retest (which has to be done within a certain period of time).

Yeah! Website the pits. Mrs Griz needs to change the dates of her booking but cannot access the calendar section.
I see that they have also put up the price of the test as well!!

Back