Penalty for not registering with PRTB?

Got a letter back from them with my application form and cheque for €70 euro saying I haven't payed them enough. In fairness i was nearly a month late.
Guess i'll have to send them on the €140 instead

Also got that letter bck in about two weeks, so it is quite a quick turn round.

What annoys me about this system though is that i have high turnover of tenants (not very good quality), so I have had tenants stay for only six weeks. last year there was 4 different tennacies!! and it is unfair to keep registereing tenants at €70 euro each time and then get a phone call from them to say they are leaving (or sometimes not even a phone call!)

i am hopeful the tenants i have now will stay longer, - they filled the oil tank!!!

beetlebum said:
What annoys me about this system though is that i have high turnover of tenants (not very good quality), so I have had tenants stay for only six weeks. last year there was 4 different tennacies!!

Why not deducting some money (say €70 for the PRTB registratrion fee :) )from their deposit IF they do not respect the terms of the lease (minimum duration, minimum notice period...)???

Also ,have you considered increasing the deposit the tenant is to pay before moving in , increasing your chances of getting "more stable" tenants?

Just 2 ideas passing by, may be stating the obvious but never know
(I do not know the legality of the first one)...

Isn't it true though that if you register twice in one year for a single property, any additional tenancies can be registered for free?

if i increase the deposit by more i'll get no tenant, it is because the house is not in a good area that i find it difficult to get reliable tenants.

From page 5 of the registration form.

The fee payable is €70 per tenancy being registered on time i.e. within 1 month after the commencement of the tenancy or €300 for multiple tenancies in the one building being registered on time by the one landlord (please staple the multiple forms together). No fee is payable where 2 payments in respect of the dwelling have been made to the Private Residential Tenancies Board in the previous 12 months. No fee is payable for an update of details of a tenancy currently registered.

Back