Penalty for not registering with PRTB?

Helen

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a penalty for not registering with the PRTB?

thanks

Not sure about PRTB penalties and I can't download documents from their site at the moment but aren't Revenue making the ability of landlords to offset mortgage interest and/or other allowable expenses against rental income contingent on them having registered with the PRTB in the current Finance Bill?

Oh, that's the catch.
I'm not trying to avoid registering, I just put it on the long finger and now I see there's a penalty if you are 1 month after the start of the tenancy.
My tenancy started on the 1st Jan, do you think I could push that out by 2 weeks so as not to have to pay the penalty?
I presume this is treated as a tax deductible expense?

also mentions the following penalties:
Landlords who fail to register may be fined up to 3,000 euro and face imprisonment for up to six months on conviction. A further penalty of 250 euro for each day of non-registration may be levied.

Hi

I wouldn't be to worried about 2 weeks. The prtb took 7 months to acknowleged my registration.

i am still waiting and its been a year , i have looked on their website and have seen that my property comes up when i do a county search , so i am not really concerned that i did not get a reply . Next i am going to use them to get some cash from a pervious tennant and see can they earn their 70 euro per tenancy as my lawyer is not intrested in persueing the matter and suggested going to small claims court ???????????

So much for that particular lawyer .

So do I assume from the above that those with tenants since 01/01/2005 are in trouble.............:eek:

I do not want to sound ignorant but what is the PRTB?
We have an investmennt property that has been rented out for the last three years and I do not think that we have registered anywhere?

PTRB = Private Residental Tenancies Board..... See link to Oasis above. Thought I was the only one with this problem.... feel a little better now. Cheers Mairead :D ........

Mairead

See Clubman's link in post 4.

Prior to the PTRB, landlords had to register with the local authority.
I think you need to take this more seriously as there are heavy penalties for non compliance. See below

"If the tenants remain after the four-year tenancy is over, you must register a new tenancy. Landlords who fail to register may be fined up to 3,000 euro and face imprisonment for up to six months on conviction. A further penalty of 250 euro for each day of non-registration may be levied."

If you register more than 30 days after the tenancy has been created then the fee is 140 euros not 70.

I started renting a property in 2004 but didn't register until around august 2005, one year late. I filled in the date of start of tenancy as August 2004 and paid 70 Euro. Having checked the database, my house is on it. I never got notified personally but I am taking it that if my house is on the register all's square and the 70 Euro was enough.

Hi geri,

You (and your tenant) should have received an acknowledgement from the PRTB with a reference number (that would be used in case of a dispute).

Did you pay them by cheque? If so, was this cashed?

I have been registred with them since the beginning and have never gotten a registration number , has anyone gotten one .

in regard the fees as i posted earlier
HTML:
The fees set out below are the current fees at the time of printing (November 2005). As fees could be subject to change in the future, you are advised to check the up-to-date fees payable at the time of registering the tenancy - the Private Residential Tenancies Board's website, www.prtb.ie will be of assistance in this regard.
The fee payable is €70 per tenancy being registered on time i.e. within 1 month after the commencement of the tenancy or €300 for multiple tenancies in the one building being registered on time by the one landlord (please staple the multiple forms together). No fee is payable where 2 payments in respect of the dwelling have been made to the Private Residential Tenancies Board in the previous 12 months. No fee is payable for an update of details of a tenancy currently registered. 
In all circumstances where the tenancy is being registered more than 1 month after the commencement of the tenancy, a fee of €140 is payable for these late registrations. There are no exceptions to this.
Fees should be paid by cheque, postal order or money order and should be made payable to the Private Residential Tenancies Board. The cheque should be crossed. Cash should not be sent with the registration form.

thats on the tenancy registration form so i dont know what they are up to in your case geri

I registered in September last and got a reply end of January with a reference number on it.

biggerry said:
Hi geri,

You (and your tenant) should have received an acknowledgement from the PRTB with a reference number (that would be used in case of a dispute).

Did you pay them by cheque? If so, was this cashed?

Nope - didn't receive anything from them yet, over one year on......

Back