Peculiar price structure for landscaping quote. VAT specific.

Horatio

I have received a quote from a Landscaper to complete works in my front garden & my back garden. The majority of the work is in the front. Both Front & back works require both materials & labor.
The quote has the works for the Front Garden as "plus VAT", the works for the back garden as "Incl. VAT".

I have verified with him that this is not a typo. Why would he quote this way?
Stumped! (boom boom)

His business really. Probably just carelessness on his part but he may not wish to admit to tthat.

Hi Horatio - did he give an adequate explanation? What exactly did he say? If Tommy is right, would you be happy contracting someone who can't admit "carelessness"?

If Tommy is right, would you be happy contracting someone who can't admit "carelessness"?
That wouldn't worry me too much, to be honest. Many excellent tradesmen are mediocre at best at paperwork. I'm guessing here that the guy may have framed the invoice that way because he hadn't a calculator to hand or was in a hurry doing it.

That wouldn't worry me too much, to be honest. Many excellent tradesmen are mediocre at best at paperwork. I'm guessing here that the guy may have framed the invoice that way because he hadn't a calculator to hand or was in a hurry doing it.
Could be right, it was submitted via text message.

I contacted him again with the full calculated cost incl. VAT asking him to verify if my calculated total was correct & if he had room to maneuver on price. As it turned out it's pretty saucy price for basic labor & basic materials. No major works just upgrading whats already there.

As long as he is VAT registered, its OK. His VAT no should be there??? and you can check it with Revenue

Is this not simply that the front garden quote is significantly more €€ and so he split out the vat to make more palatable, whereas the back price is low enough to just give a total price?

Is this not simply that the front garden quote is significantly more €€ and so he split out the vat to make more palatable, whereas the back price is low enough to just give a total price?
The front price is more than double the back but if I was quoting work that fact would not make a blind bit of difference to me.

He is VAT registered for a fact.

Back