PDF files on websites

Capaill

Begin Vent

This one really gets my goat up.

Why oh why do more and more websites now insist on putting information on their websites in PDF format. It really is a pain when you click on a link that you subsequently have to wait for Adobe to load up, download the file so that you can read it. Whatever happened to using HTML pages to present you company info?

At the very least warn users that the link they are clicking on is going to open a PDF file.

End Vent
Calmness and serenity returning

C

For what it's worth Brendan is another "PDFophobe". :) I agree that HTML format info would be ideal but at the very least they could avoid embedding huge graphics in the PDFs causing them to bloat so big that dial-up users and even some broadband users find them too large to download in a timely manner. Revenue are notorious for this but they're not the only cuplrits.

Er ' I'm probably guilty of of this; my company make certain information available on line. We are obliged to ensure that this is the same infromation available as In-pack. By using pdf we can send the same file to a commercial printer as we publish to the web. If we changed format this would require a further validation step (a very value subtracting activity) to prove that the change to HTML did not somehow corrupt the information ... no conversation no validation no problem.

QP

Back