PC v Apple

monkey0804

We need to replace out desktop. I am thinking of going the Apple route, but for the last 20 odd years :eek: I've used PC/Microsoft OS etc. so how hard is it to adjust to an Apple? Is it a steep learning curve?

Check and see what programs you most need to use and whether t4hese can "Migrate" over to the Apple.

I am a PC user and people I spoke to find that there are other programs on Apples that they can use.

For their use they didn't find the changeover all that hard but all are home and not business use.

However if Microsoft Powerpoint (or whatever) is mission-critical you have to allow for this

Price ?

An Apple desktop/laptop is twice the price of an equivalent PC

I am thinking of going the Apple route
Why? Apple are overpriced and over hyped. You'll get much more for you money with a PC, and Windows 7 is rock solid. If you want to move away from Windows maybe consider ubuntu on a PC, I've been using it for years and find it great.

Personally I think an iPad will fulfill most of the needs of the average home pc user. Web browsing, email, Apple version of Word Excel PowerPoint available. Movies, e-reading, picture viewing and editing etc etc all in a small very user friendly small, quick, virus free platform. They boot up in seconds too. Updates are now possible over wifi also.

Well worth considering.

We need to replace out desktop. I am thinking of going the Apple route, but for the last 20 odd years :eek: I've used PC/Microsoft OS etc. so how hard is it to adjust to an Apple? Is it a steep learning curve?

I've got a similar background and I switched over the home office about 6 months ago to the apple world. The Mac OS is basically a Unix environment, so it is not such a big deal to get it sorted out.

From an application point of view I have found that iWorks is a fine substitute for Office, but if you really need it you can get MS Office for the Mac as well. In my case I do a lot of Windows development work so I actually run a virtual Windows environment on the Mac - I use a copy of Paralles to this and it works very well.

Over all I found the Mac to be an easier environment to support and manage - I've got 4 home users to support <g>. Because a Mac is locked down by default it is very easy to set limited accounts for the kids and I have an awful lot less OS updates and required reboots. Viruses are very rear on the Mac, so it is not unreasonable to go without a virus checker, just make sure that the firewall is turned on.

One thing I'm very good is the Apple backup solution. I've got a Time Capsule connected to my WiFi and I have the to Air Books backing up to it every hour. I've done a few restores already for the kids and it works very well.

If you've got any questions, just asks me?

Jim2007

Personally I think an iPad will fulfill most of the needs of the average home pc user. Web browsing, email, Apple version of Word Excel PowerPoint available. Movies, e-reading, picture viewing and editing etc etc all in a small very user friendly small, quick, virus free platform. They boot up in seconds too. Updates are now possible over wifi also.

Well worth considering.

Yes and no, email, twigging a presentation or a document is fine, but I find if you are doing a lot of graphic stuff switch over to a desktop or a laptop is a relief!

Keep the PC as a backup, and get the Mac. Best of both worlds. You'll get used to anything. The Mac is easier in general. That said I've never found PC's difficult either.

As others have said, the choice is really one of useage and what you'd use the machine for. But in reality, unless it's heavy games useage and certain applications, in most domestic use there isn't really any sticking point to switching to a mac.

Price ?

An Apple desktop/laptop is twice the price of an equivalent PC

Just to be very defensive and picky, the price is comparable on spec and component equivalents.

Back