PC Purchase for Limited Company not in my (or company) name

Lauren

I want to buy a new PC for my business..I operate my own limited company. A friend of mine can get me a cheap PC through work however to get the cheap price he purchases it in his name. He is permitted to purchase up to 4 pc/laptops in a period for family and friends etc so he's not breaking any rules. I'd be paying for it via credit card in my own name. However given any documentation with the PC will appear in his name, am I right in saying that I can't reclaim the VAT or charge the cost to the company because its not in the company name, even though I could prove the purchase went through on my own credit card?

Lauren,

All you need to prove is that your company purchased the PC (not yourself personally)
You will need an invoice made out to your company in order to reclaim VAT.
When you say that all documentation that is provided with the PC will have your friends name on it, I presume you mean the invoice?
If this is the case then you cannot legitimately reclaim VAT as far as I know.
Unless the deal your friend can get is very good you may be better off buying elsewhere and in so doing make it possible to reclaim the VAT portion of the cost of the PC.

The other thing to consider is to purchase the PC personally and claim the cost as an expense from the company

Back