PC keeps powering down & restarting

born2bl8

Hi All
Dimension e520 tower, running XP pro.
Intermittently just keeps shutting down (actually windows doesnt shut down it just appears to lose power as if the lead was pulled out from the back) & reboots.

Did complete format of HD & OS install so assume this disounts virus?

Re-seated all power / sata connectors.

Motherboard lights come on when power lead attached.

So I'm thinking either, faulty power supply/hard drive/motherboard.

Dont have a replacement power supply handy to swap that out, so before I get hold of one, any thoughts about the best way to diagnose/possibly fix would be warmly appreciated.

CPU may be over heating. You could install Speedfan or the likes to monitor the CPU temperature.

I'd say overheating too, by the fact that it does work a while, then powers off.

Check that the CPU fan is seated correctly, removing it and redoing it with new heatsink paste if necessary - often, one pin is hard to get in, so the heatsink isn't fully in contact with the CPU.

Any messages in event logs? Also use an air canister to blow any dust from around fans etc.

Overheating due to dust.

Or a powersupply problem/motherboard.

Network cards can sometimes cause problems like this too. Test without it.

Perhaps you should be thinking; -

1. Software conflict or

2. Virus

ONQ.

Hi All

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

I am pretty sure its not a heat or SW/virus issue.

I managed to get a replacement PSU so will be trying that out to hopefully sort the problem.

thanks again, born2bl8

Hi all

After getting a replacement PSU.

Thought it had it cracked but it's after shutting down again after about an hour.

I have speedfan downloaded and installed but it only shows the HD temperature.

Will keep messing & report back.

Thanks again for all the help, born2bl8

Blow out all the dust from the CPU fan heatsink then leave the side off and even point a desk fan at the computer. See if that makes a difference.

Back