pc- extremly slow to start up

lynx

hi there, ive been reading a few threads and trying to understand exactly what is the problem with why my PC is so slow it started about 2 wks ago and is getting worse.
I'm not very good with computers and have tried to follow steps as outlined by others before.
Ive looked at the task manager and CPU is 100% with about 60+ processes. the largest process is svchost.exe at 24000k , Ghosttray.exe at 22,612K and CCAPP.EXE at 18,464k.

Ive clicked on Run and typed chkdsk etc but still slow as,
Any help would be grateful for any input
Cheers

Chkdsk won't help you - it checks for lost clusters on the disk, so it is not going to solve a memory problem on startup.

CCAPP.exe is Norton antivirus, which is slow for sure, but if you have a subscription then you might as well keep running (as it is your virus-scanner and you need to have something!).
svchost.exe runs processes that start from dlls (dybanic link libraries). Basically it is a process that enables other processes to start, so you should generally leave it alone.
ghosttray.exe is the traybar process for norton ghost.

If your computer was running well and now is not, then you do not need more ram. You need to find out what caused the problem. You may have one of three things (that I can think of offhand!):
1. Spyware or malware that is slowing your system down. This is unlikely (but not impossible) as you have Norton running. To check this, you could try spybot search&destroy which is freeware and it will look for spyware.
2. You have added a new program that has a startup component that is badly written and is hogging system resources on startup (or is looking for an internet connection before the internet connection is ready).
3. Your hard drive is close to full or badly fragmented.

There are some free tools that are available to clean up your system:
1. Quick startup from glarysoft http://www.glarysoft.com/
This is handy as it lets you stop startup prorams from running without deleting them, so you can clean up the startup by trial and error. In general, most startup tasks are useless and do things like check for new updates of software that you rarely use! Anything that appears in the system tray (a quickstart link) is also started up and in general I find that the time it takes to start up the application without the quick start bothers me less than the startup time for windows - so I am prepared for a slower starting Adobe Acrobat, rather than slowing down windows startup as I may not use acrobat during the session! Do be careful what you disable, as you could 'break' your system.
2. CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/
Very handy for cleaning up your registry and internet cache etc. Make sure you save any cookies that you want to keep (e.g. internet banking ones etc.), otherwise you'll have to re-enter all your details the next time you go to the site (I kept forgetting to do this for AAM and then forgetting my password!).
3. Auslogics disk defrag http://www.auslogics.com/
Clean up your internet cache, remove any programs you don't want, fix your registry, empty the recycle bin before you do a defrag, otherwise you are reorganising rubbish as well as the files you want to keep.

Note, these are the programs I use myself, I have no particular view on whether they are the best or even very good, they are just the ones I downloaded when I needed them and they have served me well!

Best of luck. (Sorry for the long post!).

Go to:

Start > Run >Type: msconfig > StartUp Tab.

This will show you what programs are starting up with your pc.

All computers are different, but I only have 4 ticked on mime, Firewall/Mouse Pad/Wireless Network.

Back