payslip question

car

I changed jobs recently and having some trouble with tax. Ive gone over payslips from previous payslips and have some questions. If I see something like this
gross 5115
taxable 5182.31

any idea why theres a higher taxable figure than my gross? Its a straight forward payslip, gross, prsi, usc. no pension, deductions on it.

this was on several payslips from earlier in the year. later in the year I started voluntary pension contributions at 15%.

now I have
gross 5115
pensions contrib: 767.25
taxable :4453.39

My new employers are providing VHI and I see a notional BIK figure for calculating tax on that payslip.
My previous employers provided health insurance as well for employee only. I assume I should have been paying BIK on that as well but there is no mention of BIK anywhere on the slips. Is it possible they just added that figure to the "taxable figure" without including it on the slip?

It might explain the higher taxable figure but that seems very low for me, as in the first figure above is 67e over the gross (5182-5115).

So can someone explain those taxable figures? and also, the pension contributions, how much of that should be deducted from the taxable figure. the figures are they are arent making sense to me.

thanks.

The payslips will only tell you part of the story. Have you read your certificate of tax credits issued by the Revenue each year or adjusted mid-year in line with changed circumstances?

The payslips will only tell you part of the story. Have you read your certificate of tax credits issued by the Revenue each year or adjusted mid-year in line with changed circumstances?

Yes. the credits and cutoffs are linear for the year, they dont change at any point. Theyre applied correctly based on the taxable figure and the tax Im paying.

My question is on the taxable figure which would be before credits and cutoffs applied.

I suppose to clarify, how does the pension sum affect the taxable amount? I know theres a percentage of it is allowable, Im just not sure how much.
pension = 767.25
taxable before pension=5182.31
taxable after pension = 4453.39

difference = 728.92 which is 95% of my total pension payment of 767.25.

So my taxable income has come down by 95% of my pension payment. I cant find reference to any figure in any revenue doc that says youre entitled to 95% of pension payments off the taxable gross.

Thr difference is the USC. This is not deductable from your pension except in certain schemes. Although it still seems wrong the BIK on the health should be added unless you paid it in lump sum. Do you have a travel card ?

Back