Payslip but no Pay

Sleepy20

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice please?

I'm currently on unpaid Maternity Leave, but due to be paid last year's performance bonus in either March/April.

For some reason I got a payslip in Feb that includes the bonus, however this money wasn't actually transferred to my bank account.

I'm worried this will have tax implications and will prevent me actually receiving my bonus. HR/payroll (not based in Ireland and generally unhelpful) are very slow to respond to my queries so I'm not optimistic this will be resolved.

Would anyone have any advice on what steps I could take to have this rectified?

Thanks!

You need to escalate matters if you’ve made all reasonable efforts to allow the company sort it.

Consult your contract to see how the grievance procedure operates.

In parallel, you should make a complaint to the WRC. It’s a breach of the payment of wages act. That you’re on maternity leave also brings it into the realm of employment equality.

If I were advising the employer, I’d suggest they deal with it as a matter of urgency.

Thanks a million @Salvadore .

I suppose I'm just not sure how long is a 'reasonable time' to give HR to deal with these types of issues?

They have always been atrocious (excuses like startup company, no Irish experience etc.) but particularly since I've become pregnant I've found them just painful to deal with, taking weeks/months to respond to emails, fill out paperwork and rectify issues.

For example I haven't had the 2023 public holidays that occured during my mat. leave added to my AL allowance for this year and have been trying to get it sorted since the start of January. Since then I've emailed payroll (with HR Cc'd) reminders 4 times and have only gotten 1 response of 'we're working on it' in that time.

I'd love to threaten with WRC etc. but just don't want to jump the gun either and be accused of being impatient...

I'd love to threaten with WRC etc. but just don't want to jump the gun either and be accused of being impatient...

You’re in the best position ultimately to judge but it doesn’t seem to be an isolated incident. I suspect there’s no deliberate attempt to short change you but there’s been a breach of law nonetheless.

You are not jumping the gun, employment laws are there to protect the employee from rogue companies. If your company operates in Ireland they have a duty to follow all Irish employment legislation. If they don’t pay wages, don’t sort it out in the next pay period then contact the WRC. If they cannot tell you that the money is being transferred then make a formal complaint to the WRC, but be sure to tell payroll & HR you are doing this. The WRC love to highlight bad behaviour by companies and your company will sort it out fast if they think that may happen.

I get tired of HR’s and payroll staff wishy washy excuses and not making an effort to sort errors quickly. I had experience of it only yesterday when a query I raised was answered to my satisfaction 3 months after I raised it, and 0 apology for the delay about an error they made last June. I only became aware of it in December but I get so mad they won’t act quickly.

I would take it to your line manager. A more senior person should be able to poke finance into action. I’d make them aware of all issues, not just the bonus.

Are HR and payroll just one rolled together ? or is it that HR need to contact payroll on your behalf ? Payroll is usually run by finance thankfully as you'd be waiting a long time for HR to do anything unless it's organise the Christmas party. Send your manager an email to ask when you should expect the funds in your account.

You need to escalate matters if you’ve made all reasonable efforts to allow the company sort it.

Consult your contract to see how the grievance procedure operates.

In parallel, you should make a complaint to the WRC. It’s a breach of the payment of wages act. That you’re on maternity leave also brings it into the realm of employment equality.

If I were advising the employer, I’d suggest they deal with it as a matter of urgency.
Seems you were jumping the gun a little.

Back