Payrise

bagpuss

Hi

I work for a medium sized employer. I am responsible for all accounting/financial matters and a member of the senior management team.
There are 5 members of this team - of which I am the only female.

I have had no pay review since 2006 when I was asked to take a small increase and a bonus payment in recognition of my work would be paid the following March. In November last, I got a bonus payment of 1k and told that "more would follow" Still waiting!
In 2006 3 of the senior team ( who are also buddies with the MD!) got significant rises. In 2007 these also got their bonus payments.

Of course, I only know the above as I look after payroll.
My question is, can I use the knowledge of payroll when I look for my increase. We all have targets to achieve. I have achieved mine always. One of the buddies that got his bonus last year did not achieve this target. In fact, his section made a loss.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for reading.

Hi, I can understand why you are annoyed, if you have been fobbed off.

However, I don't think you should use your knowledge of the payroll for your own leverage. I do payroll for a small team and personally I don't think this is the way to go to secure your own pay rise, as to me it would be quite unprofessional. I have seen similar things put through payroll, but I am in a trusted position and ultimately at the end of the day it is none of my business, all I need to concern myself with is that I work out their calculations correctly. Ultimately, I don't really care what other people get, good or bad, I just look after myself.

By all means apply for your own pay rise, on your own merits, not against someone elses weaknesses. Book a meeting with your boss to discuss how you have achieved your targets, been an asset to the company, blah, blah, and how you feel you deserve a pay rise but do not under any circumstances discuss another staff members package or bonus structure. I really don't think you will do yourself any favours.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply. I do feel fobbed off. These "senior" guys have openly discussed their bonus payments in the office so other staff members are aware of what they get. I had not planned on using specific details but I will rethink my stratregy.
I'll focus on my own work and achievements.

At least then you will know where you stand. If you were to mention other people, you could leave yourself open being blamed on using the information from payroll, even if that was not the case, if they are discussing bonus figures in front of other staff. That may suit them, if they dont want to give you a pay rise.

If you stick to your own achievements, they will have to give you a straight answer.

Good Luck!!

Back