Payment not received by welfare now also tenant's gone

Pickle

I rent out a house to tenants who get welfare to pay for their rent,I normally receive this into my account around the 24 th of the month. I know there are a couple of days left in the month but just wondering can I ring the welfare to see if there is an issue.

Re: Payment not received by welfare

Calendar monthly payments issue during the last week of the calendar month, so the payment might only be lodged this week.

If payment is not received by you, you should ask the tenant to contact the CWO in case there is any problem with the claim (e.g. review forms not returned by the tenant).

Re: Payment not received by welfare

Thanks gipimann,

Just been informed by the neighbor beside the tenants that they have left and got a house somewhere else. Now I have 1 month's deposit and since lease is not up until December 1 thing could be worst.
I have already got a call from someone who wants the house(friend of neighbor I think who are nice people).
Won't get to the house until tomorrow so hopefully it is in good condition as 2 weeks back when I was there.
Now since ESB & Gas is in their name what should I do next in relation to this or do I just let them know in case tennat's have not.
Tried ringing tennant's but can't reach them.
They never rang me to say what they where doing.

Re: Payment not received by welfare now also tennat's gone

do they still have a key?
They do, but not to worried as even if they gave me back the key there is nothing to say they did not have a copy anyway .

I think he's alluding to the fact that you might consider changing the locks!

I think he's alluding to the fact that you might consider changing the locks!
I got that Ancutza but I don't think there is a need, it was a Mother and 3 daughters who where staying there and over all they seemed fine house always clean etc.
With the welfare you get paid end of the month so will not get Oct payment by the looks of it and the deposit will cover what was due for November,
I was thinking of ringing welfare section who was paying their rent and ask them that the tenant stayed for a few weeks in October and failed to tell me they where leaving,
Might get nothing from them but feel I should as they stayed there in October but if I get nothing I still want them to know what happened.

Change the locks asap.

Contact SW and check what happened to the payment in October. Did the cheque issue to the tenant?

Have you checked the house itself since you were made aware that they moved out?

Just to say in advance - I'm not scaremongering & this is not hearsay as it has happened to my immediate family.

About 2 years ago in a similar situation they didn't receive the monthly rental payment. It turns out that the tenant had gone into the Social Welfare Office and informed them that the landlord (my family member) had changed bank accounts and they had issued a cheque in my family member's name to the tenant instead of lodging it to their bank account. The tenant fraudulently managed to get the cheque cashed, moved their stuff out of the house & left. My family member didn't get the locks changed for a further 2 days and by the time they got around to doing it the house had been gutted. The amount of deposit didn't even cover a quarter of the reinstatement of the house and contents and they had no idea that the tenant was any trouble until they had a missed payment from Social Welfare halfway through the tenancy.

It's possible that the October supplement was stopped because the CWO became aware that the tenants had changed address (e.g. if they notified SW of a change of address for their weekly welfare payment, the CWO would have been notified by a computer report). If there are some weeks due (if the tenants moved mid-month), you may get something - no harm in making contact with the CWO just to be sure.

Been to house today, tenant's gone and left house in good condition thank God, I have to ring local community officer on Monday and ask about October payment as they did stay there. They had left a gas bill on table of over 700 E which I imagined they won't pay, it is in their name so no issue with me, told gas about it today, wonder why they let the bill rise so much .

They had left a gas bill on table of over 700 E which I imagined they won't pay, it is in their name so no issue with me, told gas about it today, wonder why they let the bill rise so much .

Lol, it happens. Do you think the tenant thinks the bill wont follow her once she moves house? I had a crew a few years back that agreed to put the electric bill in their names. I thought no more of it. Around the middle of the winter I get a call from them, angry that the lights had all gone out in the house.

Their story? Oh we never received a bill. It WAS in their name but it just never arrived at the house. They thought, oh free electricity!

The funny part was how they wanted me to sort it. As the bill was in their name there was nothing i could do - ESB didnt even want to talk to me - customer privacy issues and all that. They got stuck with a massive bill they had to pay for.

OP, how can you be sure the tenant has left? You cannot go on the word of a neighbour surely?

Going on what other people say on this forum you cannot change the locks or just assume they have left... you may be in hot water with the PRTB.

I agree it's silly... however people who have problem tenants who won't leave are always advised to follow procedure.. issue letters and all that.

I recommend doing what you have done, just take back the house... however this can go badly.

Landlords are advised never to go into the house without permission, and definitely not to change the locks.. even when the tenants have not paid rent for months, and when the tenant says they will move out by Thursday for example.. I always say the landlord should just move back in on Thursday... however this is advised against.

So what protection have you against a claim by the tenant???.,., their lease is not up and you're moving back in?, thus breaking the lease, and the quiet enjoyment that the tenant is entitled to.

(I'm just a devils advocate here, of course you can't wait for notification that may never come, however this could be a ruse by the tenant...)

Rang the SW they said that they got a new house, SW said the official date they left my house was 14th, so they paid for 14 days already received into bank.

Back