Payment methods for Saving Certs

primrose

I wish to buy circa 30k of 5 year Saving Certs asap. I went to the Post Office today to buy these along with all the documentation, cheque book in hand and was told that I could pay only in cash.

Are the only options 1. to physically withdraw 30k from the bank and bring to the PO or 2. Send cheque to NTMA along with photocopied documents.

Also does the PO need to verify these documents before I send them to NTMA? How long does this method of sending doc and cheque to NTMA take?

Regards
primrose

I have regularly bought Certs (as recently as 2 months ago) and always paid by cheque over the counter.

The counter clerk photocopies the documents and hands you back the originals

I, no later than Monday, bought some certs at my local post office. I handed over a cheque made payable to NTMA and crossed it. Maybe the post office clerk was not familiar with this process?

Under Section 3 on the application form, Payment Method:-

Personal Cheque payable to 'NTMA State Savings' and crossed account payee.

No 3rd party cheques but those payable to account holder named in section 4 are acceptable.

They also give you a receipt with reference number in case you need to follow-up on issue of cert. The certs can take quite a while to issue because they are so busy, 6 weeks or more at present.

Back