Paying voluntary UK NIC contributions

Chewbacca

Hi

I spent about 25 years working in the UK. I applied to pay voluntary contributions last year and apparently sent the wrong form so HMRC wrote to me and advised that I needed to complete form CF83 as living abroad, I had enquird about paying class 3 , this form gives an option to pay class 2 or class 3 I'm not sure which I should be paying? I was an employee whilst working in the UK. Also is this form only for future years or do I need a different option to pay any gaps in prior year contributions? Thanks for any assistance.

Almost certainly Class 2.

You can repay any gaps as far back as 2006 if you apply before April 2023 so get started! After that it's only the preceding six years.

You'll need 35 years contributions before 67.

Started age 23 in UK, stopped April 2020 aged 49, started working Ireland July 2020, had previously worked circa 3 years before going to UK. They've told me I have 27 qualifying years to April 2022 which I'm surprised at as I know I had some gaps, not requested detailed breakdown yet

They've told me I have 27 qualifying years to April 2022 which I'm surprised at as I know I had some gaps,
Then just pay back 20/21, 21/22 as voluntary NICs and then make another six years contributions going forward until you have 35 years. Then you should get a full UK state pension at 67.

HMRC are extremely slow to reply but once you get the application in and make the payments on time they'll be credited to your record eventually.

You will qualify for a partial Irish state pension contributory pension separately once you've made at least 10 years of PRSI contributions in Ireland.

Almost certainly Class 2.

You can repay any gaps as far back as 2006 if you apply before April 2023 so get started! After that it's only the preceding six years.

You'll need 35 years contributions before 67.
I was just looking into this as I haven't heard back from HMRC about additional voluntary contributions I made months ago - I know they are very slow but it was heading for 6 months without a reply!

There has been quite a significant update to the UK Government Gateway - I can now get directly into my NI account online as there is now the facility to verify identity electronically using a biometric passport, which includes international passport. Previously, even if registered for the UK Government Gateway I could not get further online as only UK identification (e.g. ID, postcode) were acceptable. It was a bit onerous but this is going to save me hours waiting on the phone!!
Fortunately all seems to be in order for me.

Anyone know what date the HMRC are working on now? They received our form on 27 September and it's still "taking longer than estimated to process". We've called a few times (inc the 90 min wait) and they always seem to working on forms received be 4 weeks before ours......

Anyone know what date the HMRC are working on now? They received our form on 27 September and it's still "taking longer than estimated to process". We've called a few times (inc the 90 min wait) and they always seem to working on forms received be 4 weeks before ours......
I don't, but it's seems widely reported that there's a backlog of around six months.

I did it about 18 months ago I.E. before any last-minute rush. They told me the waiting period then was about 34 weeks.
Separately, I've just successfully registered for the UK Government Gateway using my Irish passport as described by Miakk above. May not be much help to me now - but would have helped clarify a lot of things when I first started the process.

I spoke directly to the pensions office in Newcastle and they told me that all applications, received before the deadline, would be processed under the regulations at the time the request was received. In other words, the 16 year buy back option would be honored, even if it took a year, from now, to process the application.

I did it about 18 months ago I.E. before any last-minute rush. They told me the waiting period then was about 34 weeks.
Separately, I've just successfully registered for the UK Government Gateway using my Irish passport as described by Miakk above. May not be much help to me now - but would have helped clarify a lot of things when I first started the process.

I must try that too - I just Googled the UK Government Gateway and I am struggling to see where to register. Is it the same as registering for HMRC online services?

Thanks...

I must try that too - I just Googled the UK Government Gateway and I am struggling to see where to register. Is it the same as registering for HMRC online services?

Thanks...

I started from here : https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

Which has a link to create a Government Gateway login

There is a website HMRC Community Forums which had an update to a user today which stated the following:

Our International Caseworker’s are currently working on post received on:

EU countries 6 September 2022

Rest of the world countries 15 August 2022

Any payments received are also worked in strict date order. Even though the deadline is approaching in April 2023 for making a payment your payment won’t be affected or penalised if it is processed after the April deadline.

You do not need to make the call but if you want to wait until after the end of the tax year (May 2023) when our lines maybe quieter as the deadline will have passed please do not hesitate to so.

Thank you.

There are lots of individuals on the site struggling to get updates on their requests but there appear to be consistent messages from staff confirming that once the CF83 form is received by the deadline it will be honoured. I’ve been following, amongst others, the topic under the Self Assessment forum titled ‘Paid Voluntary NI contributions - How long is updating of the online NI records taking?’

I've just successfully registered for the UK Government Gateway using my Irish passport as described by Miakk above.
I tried and failed this way.

My 2022 passport card is biometric but this seems not to be accepted as it's not in book form.

I have a 2015 passport book but as it's not biometric it was also rejected.

So it seems you have to have a valid biometric passport book.

There is a website HMRC Community Forums which had an update to a user today which stated the following:

Our International Caseworker’s are currently working on post received on:

Rest of the world countries 15 August 2022

Any payments received are also worked in strict date order. Even though the deadline is approaching in April 2023 for making a payment your payment won’t be affected or penalised if it is processed after the April deadline.

You do not need to make the call but if you want to wait until after the end of the tax year (May 2023) when our lines maybe quieter as the deadline will have passed please do not hesitate to so.

Thank you.

There are lots of individuals on the site struggling to get updates on their requests but there appear to be consistent messages from staff confirming that once the CF83 form is received by the deadline it will be honoured. I’ve been following, amongst others, the topic under the Self Assessment forum titled ‘Paid Voluntary NI contributions - How long is updating of the online NI records taking?’

Interestingly:
this was what they said to us at the beginning of February......

Back