Paying tax on freelance work if living/working abroad

N

niallok

Hi there,

A taxing question for y'all. I am an Irish citizen who's currently living and working in South Africa. I'm employed by a South African company, I have a bank account here for my salary, and I'm paying tax here.

So, I've been technically "unemployed" in Ireland for about a year now, but recently I was offered some freelance work from my old employers. Nothing major and it will amount to maybe €500 per month for the next year or so, maybe longer. I will invoice my old company directly and the fee (to be paid as around €1500 per quarter) will be lodged in my still existing Bank of Ireland account.

My question is, since it's such a low earning, will I be required to pay tax on this? If so, what do I need to do? If not, do I need to do anything, e.g. let Revenue know what I'm up to?

Sorry if the questions sound a bit dense but I've been on revenue.ie all morning trying to find some info about this but to no avail.

Regards
Niall

If you are non-resident in Ireland and do not carry out the work in Ireland you are not taxable in Ireland on this freelance income.

However, as you are resident in SA you may well be liable to tax in SA - you should get tax advice in SA.

Back