Paying in euros but want to get refund

L

lyns52

Hi all,
I paid for items over the internet and the price quoted was in sterling, but paid (by credit card) in euros. However due to bad service I have cancelled the order. The price then in sterling (£61ish) amounted to 72(ish) euros. However the 72 euros today equal approx £66. Am I entitled to the amount I paid in euros back, or do I have to accept the sterling price?

No, unfortunately you took the currency risk when you decided to use your credit card for non-Euro transactions. The credit-card company will have made two lots of currency exchange commissions from you.

Your credit card company may refund the currency fee's if you ring them. They've done it for me a couple of times on large items.

Maybe I am being a little harsh but given the amounts you are talking about can you be talking about more than a fiver in the difference? How much is the time it's going to take you to follow this up worth?

Seems to me like you should put one call into the card company and ask them as sweetly as you can to help you out and then call it a day.

Seller was selling to you in sterling so he/she never took on any currency risk whatsoever (unless you agreed that specifically which seems unlikely given the circumstances).

Back