Paying by direct debit, Dublin Council now sent me notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greta

I registered to pay Household charge on time and chose the option to pay by direct debit. Two direct debits taken, no problem (the third to go soon), was sent a receipt for the first payment. My details are correct on their online system, payments up to date.

However, I have just got a notice from Dublin City Council, that it "has come to their attention" that I "may be liable to pay the Household charge" on my property. In the notice they are totally unaware that I am already paying it, and demanding euro 114, including late payment fees and interest, if I pay by 31 July.

If I already pay, they are demanding that I must ring them up on the number provided in the notice (1890 357357 or 0035312224000 from outside Ireland), no option to notify them online or by post.

I'd like to know what's going on??? Has anybody else had this nuisance after paying?
Is it because I am paying be direct debit, and the incompetent idiotic system can't distinguish between those who pay by direct debit and those who don't pay at all?

I am sure they got my name and address (as I don't live at the property and they sent their notice to my correct address) from my online registration details, rather than just chasing all property owners. I own the property jointly with my husband and if they got my details from my tenants or letting agent, they'd have my husband's name or both our names, but no, their notice is addressed only to me - as it was I who registered online and set up direct debit payments.

So why do they take my details from their system but ignore the fact that my payments are up to date?

Just so frustrating, so would like to know if it's a widespread problem or what.

I am never one to say ignore letters like this... however this is madness and I would just ignore it, why would you pay to call an 1890 number to tell them you are paying.

No, I am not with Ulster Bank, and anyway, Ulster Bank's problems started after the 2nd instalment was paid around middle of May. The 3rd instalment is just coming up. The notice I received doesn't say anything about me not keeping up with direct debit, it is suggesting that I didn't pay anything, and is looking for full payment plus interest and penalties.

Maybe Dublin City Council are with Ulster Bank? But that still wouldn't explain why they ignore my registration and payment details on their own database. They even sent me one receipt (for the 1st direct debit payment) already, some time ago, and now this!
By the way, what a waste of money sending receipts in the post, when they can just be downloaded online.

So don't know what their problem is, a scam to force people to call their phone line? There is no return address on the letter or envelope, just "Dublin City Council". Stupidity+incompetence, some idiot programmed the system to send out these notices to everybody on their system who hasn't paid in full yet, forgetting about direct debits? Whatever it is, it's very annoying.

Would really like to hear from someone who is paying by direct debit, whether they have also had this stupid notice or not.

The only other thing I can think about is if they are sending these notices to everybody who is registered to pay NPPR charge, to threaten them into paying Household charge as well, and not bothering to check if they are already paying it.

The only other thing I can think about is if they are sending these notices to everybody who is registered to pay NPPR charge, to threaten them into paying Household charge as well, and not bothering to check if they are already paying it.
Possible. I wouldn't put it past them.

I am paying by DD to DCC and did not incorrectly receive a reminder letter. If I did then I'd just call the number to see what the story was before accusing anybody of idiocy, stupidity, incompetence etc. Mistakes can happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back