Paying a third party for a booking on a hotel website

kdoc

I recently booked a a few days stay in a Tipperary hotel using my credit card.
When I received my credit card statement I noticed €7.31 was paid to an outfit called AVVIO. It seems the payment is simply for the privilege of booking through the hotel's website. Maybe I'm not up-to-speed, but is this normal now? If so, perhaps a way to avoid such payments is to check availability and deals on the websites and then make a telephone booking.

Athens2004, no it's not a deposit. The hotel bill is completely separate. I googled the AVVIO company and it seems to me that they manage computer booking systems for certain hotels. Also on TripAdvisor there's a complaint from a customer of Dromoland Castle that for the privilege of booking through the hotel's website AVVIO charged him 35 US dollars. Their charge is totally different to the hotel charge.

But was this an additional charge or was it originally included in the amount you agreed to pay when booking through the website and then just charged separately? I would presume it's the latter - ie when you booked on website you agreed to pay €100 - your credit card bill shows hotel €92.69 and AVVIO €7.31 - so it's really a matter between those companies, you're still paying the same.

dereko1969. I've gone through the bill in detail and you are right. My apologies. The credit card separate payment confused me. My other point in relation to avoiding such charges is probably also invalid i.e. checking the website and making a phone booking, because the stated charge on the site would still apply.

Back