Paye & Selfemployed - bad idea?

180girl

Hi There,
I am self employed since April and have just taken on full time PAYE work as a cash cow.
It's only a 3 mth contract and I'm worried that if my employment ends that I will not be entitled to claim JA or JB. I was already claiming until this work came up as my business was not making enough money to live off. (The industry I am trying to be selfemployed in will take a few years to break into and so far I've had mostly weekend work).
My question is: should I deregister my business and reregister again at the start of summer next year? (The business is seasonal). I don't want to be told in 2 months that I can't claim as I'm technically self employed.

Thanks,
Worried.

I think JB and JA is based on PRSI contributions rather than your actual status (as self employed) with Revenue. So you could be entitled based on your PAYE contributions regardless of the fact that you are technically registered as self employed. You'd still need the relevant minimum contribution.

Thanks Watersprite. I'll ring the revenue to confirm it is contribution relevant and not status relevant so. I'd like to keep things simple but not end up between a rock and a hard place just because I didn't deregister :)

Lots of people are registered for income tax and a paid through the PATE system. Landlords for example..

If you can manage to keep some element of employment (PAYE) going while still registered as self-employed you should always do so. You will be paying PRSI at A rate and therefore will be entitled to the benefits of same

It is not Revenue you need to contact, but the Dept of Social and Family Affairs to see what you are entitled to.

Back