Pay talks breakdown - does this mean mayhem?

oldtimer

The pay talks have collapsed and the Unions are telling workers to submit claims for pay rises next week. Will this force companies to close down claiming, in present times, they cannot afford to pay? Will it mean massive job losses? Are we heading back to the days of strikes?

Outside of the public service and large companies like the banks, does that affect many people? I've never worked for a company that used the outcome from the wage talks for pay levels.

i would say they will sit down togeather and try again in a few weeks time...but failing that...prepare for plenty of strikes...welcome to the 80s!!!

A deal will be agreed in a few weeks and all sides can then go back to scratching their bellies.

Like the recession, the breakdown of social partnership is just what the country needs.
When the dust settles the government can get back to running the country for the first time in 20 years and we can get used to democracy again.

i think breakdown is a good thing, the government can no longer hide behind partnership, can the unions really call for stikes, with so many people losing their jobs there would be a backlash against striking nurses, teachers or esb workers, the government bought these workers during the boom, at least in the eighties there was some sort of equality between public and private workers, so striking public sector workers was not that out of step with the public mood, today that is not the case

i agree joe sod" but i think there has to be wage rise for the lower paid in the private sector....the cost of living is riseing by the week now!

I fail to see what the big deal is. These talks always break down and they have some more marathon meetings and work out a solution in the end.
Was anyone actually expecting these talks to succeed first time around? What’s happening is pretty normal

i agree joe sod" but i think there has to be wage rise for the lower paid in the private sector....the cost of living is riseing by the week now!
Isn't this just a vicious circle though? Higher wages will increase inflation and the cost of living.
Might be a better plan to reduce the wages of the public sector. This should help reduce the cost of living and also reduce the burden on the private sector.

Might be a better plan to reduce the wages of the public sector. This should help reduce the cost of living and also reduce the burden on the private sector.
a good idea....but can you see anyone in the cushy public sector agreeing to a pay cut?

I can't understand what the mad rush for a deal to be done this weekend was anyway, unless the people doing the negotiation were in a mad rush for their holidays

Outside of the public sector/quangos and banks I don't know any companies that agree to benchmarking anyway. A lot will depend if the government puts up the minimum wage at any stage over the next few months.

I don't quite see the logic in targetting the public sector in this way. Surely a more immediate and direct benefit in reducing the cost of living would be achieved by reducing the salaries of Tesco staff, AIB staff, FBD staff, Eddie Rockets staff etc, rather than public sector staff.

The increased cost of living isn't a result of increased taxation, it is a result if increased costs of goods and services. Why look for an indirect solution (reductions in public sector salaries) when you can go for a direct solution (reductions in private sector salaries)?

On the original question, IBEC are quoted in today's Irish TImes as stating that they expect resolution to happen soon.

I don't quite see the logic in targetting the public sector in this way. Surely a more immediate and direct benefit in reducing the cost of living would be achieved by reducing the salaries of Tesco staff, AIB staff, FBD staff, Eddie Rockets staff etc, rather than public sector staff.
People only pay the salaries of Tesco and Eddie Rockets staff if they choose to shop or eat there. The same applies to a lesser extent in banking and insurance; people can choose to pay for services based on price and quality. The same is not the case with the public sector; their salaries are paid for by taxation which is not optional. If the wage cost in the public sector is reduced the government has the option of spending in other areas or reducing taxes.

The increased cost of living isn't a result of increased taxation, it is a result if increased costs of goods and services.
Are you suggesting that increasing the pay of public servants well ahead of the rate of inflation over the last 10 or so years has had no inflationary effect on the economy in general?

Why look for an indirect solution (reductions in public sector salaries) when you can go for a direct solution (reductions in private sector salaries)?
Besides my first point above there is also a social justice consideration here. Why target the vulnerable minimum wage staff in Tesco or Eddie Rockets instead of the secure middle-income public sector employees with their short hours, long holidays and pensions that are paid for by the same poor sods in Tesco that you want to target?

On the original question, IBEC are quoted in today's Irish TImes as stating that they expect resolution to happen soon.
I believe that there will be a “solution” because the government don’t have the balls to take on their union masters.

Here we go again.....

I note that Purple conveniently ignores the substantive point of my post in favour of raising the usual targeted agenda. He conveniently selects the minimum wage staff of Tesco and Eddie Rockets for defence, while ignoring the staff of AIB/FBD, Tesco's well-paid management and extremely well-paid executives and Eddie Rockets well-paid operators.

For the record, I'm not proposing or recommending paycuts. I'm simply pointing out that if paycuts were to be considered a way forward, logic would dictate that you start with those that have a direct and immediate effect on the cost of living, rather than those that could have an indirect effect. It would be nice if those proposing paycuts could consider this specific issue?

I note that Purple conveniently ... ignores the staff of AIB/FBD, Tesco's well-paid management and extremely well-paid executives and Eddie Rockets well-paid operators.

No he didn't.

People only pay the salaries of Tesco and Eddie Rockets staff if they choose to shop or eat there. The same applies to a lesser extent in banking and insurance; people can choose to pay for services based on price and quality

I believe that there will be a “solution” because the government don’t have the balls to take on their union masters.
Ditto; the balls nor the will. A letter in today's Daily Mail suggested a flat €30 increase, which sounds reasonable to me (also that would require increasing the minimum wage by 77 cent).

A letter in today's Daily Mail suggested a flat €30 increase, which sounds reasonable to me (also that would require increasing the minimum wage by 77 cent).

The day we set public policy from the letter's page in the Daily Mail is the day I'll pack my bags. Just curious - was this €30 per day, or week or month or year? Was this for all workers?

No he didn't.

People only pay the salaries of Tesco and Eddie Rockets staff if they choose to shop or eat there. The same applies to a lesser extent in banking and insurance; people can choose to pay for services based on price and quality

I confess I lost my train of thought and let out some important stuff in my earlier post.

The sole reason for targeting the proposed pay cut at public service staff is because of the non-competitive nature of public services. That is simply the nature of public service, and is no reason in itself for a pay cut. You might as well cut the pay of builders for exposing their butts or Gardai for having culchie accents. It's just the way it is, and is not a reason for pay cuts. If you want to have a debate about big government or small government, that's a different issue.

So let's see if there are any genuine reasons for targeting the proposed pay cut where it will have least impact?

Just FYI, partnership talks were about a lot more than pay. They were about creating an environment of social partnership, something which has generally been recognised from all sides as a significant contributor to the Celtic Tiger.

The day we set public policy from the letter's page in the Daily Mail is the day I'll pack my bags.
It'd probably be a better system of setting public policy than we have at the moment. (pandering to unions)

Back