Pay review

puretone

Hi there,

I was supposed to start working for this company last July but due to personal circumstances (husband critically ill) I practically began to work from last November. Per my contract, my salary is reviewable on my anniversary but the company mentioned nothing about this till now.

Do you think it's better wait till November or just ask at least to make it clear ?

Thanks guys.

If they were flexible in holding the position open for you, you might want to repay the flexibility. No harm in asking the question to clarify. Check with a colleague as to whether all reviews happen in November.

I checked my offer letter again and it said 'This salary will be reviewable on an annual basis on the anniversary of your date of joining the company'. Therefore everybody should have a different date for pay review.

Rmelly - No the company has said nothing YET.

I personally wouldn't mention it until November. At that point you could consider being a bit cheeky and asking if they would consider back dating the review to July (depending on how your performance review goes), but it would be entirely at their discretion.

As complainer has suggested, check with colleagues to see how proactive they normally are in doing reviews. Sometimes you need to push for the review to take place depending on the employer.

I practically began to work from last November.

What do you mean 'practically'? Were you off on vacation/sick/doing short hours because of your family circumstances up till November ?Or did you only start in the job in November ?

Puretone, I look after pay reviews in the company I work for. Based on the circumstances you outlined, I'd go with what an earlier poster suggested and treat your actual start date, November, as the day which counts for your review.

IMHO, I would suggest that asking for the review to be backdated when the company could have simply hired someone else, but didn't, is really looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Back