Pay date on payslip different to date of actual pay

Sweet Pea

My OH was 'paid' today. He's paid every 4 weeks and his payslip is emailed to him on a Monday. The 'Date of Pay' is always listed as the Monday. So today's payslip gives today's date as his date of pay.

However, it doesn't hit our bank account until Tuesday or Wednesday.

In January, his salary hit our account on Tuesday. In Feb and March, it was a Wednesday.

It's a small company and we reckon the accountant does the payroll and the owner leaves it to the last minute to press 'go'.

However, surely the payslip should match the date of actual pay i.e. when the funds hit our bank account?

No, the pay date is the date the payment is due - this would probably be specified in the contract of employment

The day the payment is received into your account could be a few days later - is your account with a different bank to your employer? If the payments are authorised after the cut-off time, then they will delayed a day, there could be a multiple of factors delaying the payment including the owner delaying the payment deliberately

No, the pay date is the date the payment is due - this would probably be specified in the contract of employment
Well then there's an issue because he's being paid late each time. He used to be paid fortnightly. That changed to 4-weekly at the start of the year. No amended contract of employment was issued...

What difference does it make to you?
We never know what day he is going to be paid! It changes every pay period. It's supposed to be every 4 weeks but sometimes it's 4 weeks + 2 days or 4 weeks + 1 day etc. When you're tight on funds, it's nice to know whether he'll be paid today, tomorrow or Wednesday!

We never know what day he is going to be paid! It changes every pay period. It's supposed to be every 4 weeks but sometimes it's 4 weeks + 2 days or 4 weeks + 1 day etc. When you're tight on funds, it's nice to know whether he'll be paid today, tomorrow or Wednesday!
That's an entirely different issue to what's on his payslip.

Of course, it could be that the business is running into cashflow problems which would probably be an indicator of a business failure or downsizing not to far into the future

Maybe you need to budget assuming that the funds reach his account on the Wednesday or even Thursday

That way if it is paid on Tuesday, your a day ahead

Do they have to match, no is the answer to that for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, it is common that if a contractual pay date fall on a weekend for companies to pay on the Friday.
Secondly, it could be as simple as the person required to authorise the payments not being around on the afternoon in question for perhaps valid reasons. Banks have various cut offs during the day for same day/next day payments and if you miss those, it gets delayed to the next day. From the sounds if it, that may be what is happening here.
Thirdly, it could be down to who you bank with and where the salary is going into and the delay could be caused by your bank. When it hits your bank account is often going to be out of the employers hands once they release the payment.

Your contractual issue is a different thing and the employer should have issued this in writing to your OH

Ask his boss why there is a difference in days.

My guess is that they do the transfer manually on the 28 day and the delay is the bank. If it is after 3pm (?) when the transfer is done, it won't be be processed until the following day.

From an employer point of view, I would have thought monthly would have been easier. Pay on 25th or 28th or each month. End of.

I know when I used to do the payroll everybody got there payslip dated and funds transferred to their bank account on the same date
I'm guessing it's that his boss leaves payroll till the last day before it has to be done and doesn't allow time for the bank transfer

The Revenue Commissioner's definition: https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing...ayroll-submission/definition-of-pay-date.aspx

Definition of pay date​

Pay and deductions must be reported by you to us on, or before, the date the employees are paid.

‘Date paid’, in the context of PAYE modernisation, is defined as the date on which the funds are made available. These dates can be different dependent on how you pay the employee. If you pay the employee by:

• cash, it is the date the cash is given to the employee
  • cheque, it will be the date on the cheque
  • bank transfer, it is the date which the funds are scheduled to be made available in the individual’s bank account.
Where a payday falls on a non-bank working day and employee payments are due, we regard that day as payday. This occurs provided the funds are made available to the employee on the previous bank working day.

• Example
    Scheduled pay date is 01 February, which is a Sunday.
    The payslips and payroll operation are based on that date.
    The funds were available in the bank account on the previous Friday, 30 January. Revenue will still regard the pay date as 1 February.

What difference does it make to you?

My pay comes in on different days and doesn't seem to have a direct corelation to the day I get my payslip which also comes in on different days.

In my case I think it is a mixture of reasons.
Firstly I suspect that my boss is a psychopath. A lot of successful business people are psychopaths. I have encountered other psychopaths in my life.
The second reason in my case might be cashflow. A lot of businesses don't get their money in exactly on time.

Last edited:
Why? My question is surely the date on his payslip should match the date when he's paid?
Take one hundred employes and pay date is yesterday 19th April. Employers accounts department processes the payment at 4 pm on Friday. From Bank of Ireland

Let's say Monday is a bank holiday.

This is what happens with the bank accounts of different employees:

- Bank of Ireland employees money lands on accounts on Friday
- AIB employees get paid on Tuesday
- Credit union employees on Wednesday
- Employees with foreign bank accounts get it Friday as it's a bank holiday abroad on Thursday.

How do you think an employer would be able to match the payslips to actual paid date?

Employers should process the payroll on the same date each month. In time for it to reach accounts by the pay date. So if pay date is 25th of the month, generally paying it out 5 days before should more or less get it to land in the account correctly.

From your point of view, you need to budget for it landing later than you might think. When my husband's employer moved from bi weekly to monthly and husband told me he'd no money left on day 14 I took over the management of his account, and we never had a budgeting problem after that. Even once got a double months salary. I'd say heads rolled for that one .

During the months of dec and jan, companies always pay u early normally before 20th but it’s 6 weeks before your next payment…just have to budget.

Back