Passport Office strike

Don't worry. Only one photo needs ref. - the other blank. Did it yesterday - it's all on their user friendly and logically worded guide to filling out the application. :rolleyes:

Hi Caveat ,
Yes the guide to filling out the application is some reading .
Did you send by passport express or go to the passport office yourself .Need the passports by three for June 4th .Will post on Monday .

I just sent off 3 kids applications, need them by mid may. The garda put the ref on both photos on each, I hope they don't send them back!

I hope it's OK but given the circumstances there may be difficulties. As far as I remember it specifically says on the form to leave one photo unsigned.

Good luck.

I am looking at the Passport Office Dispute (it is not strike btw) rather coldly.

A few things come to mind:-

(i) Most of the screaming moaners appear to be people who made travel plans months ago and never considered the most important bit i.e are the passports OK? I have little sympathy for these.

(ii) A Trained Seal could see that the Public Service were screwed in the Budget and because they had previously lied down they were going to be screwed again. The Minister's statement that he will screw them once more did not help either. (An argument for a different Forum, I know, but relevant here).

(iii) Now we have people who are travelling in June panicking. This does not help either and hinders people travelling say in April/May who need passports.

(iv) Just when we didn't need it, somebody suggests taking out a false address and applying in the Cork Passport Office. I'm sure this will go down a treat in Cork.

(v) The solution to this is with the government. All talk about sacking the Public Servants is pie-in-the-sky and achieves nothing. By the way, the serial moaners have been looked after and we will hear nothing from them again.

(vi) Some politicians have gone on television and radio and tried to call bluff by suggesting that the low paid workers in the Passport Office should go out on strike. Now, that the union has threatened this, the same politicians are shouting for something else.

I can hear people shouting "Hey Lep! Would you say the same if your passport needed renewal?" The answer is yes.

(If the moderators feel this is off topic, please feel free to delete or move)

I see the CPSU drones are now posting here. :rolleyes:

Now I did not suggest that anyone use a fake address. I suggested using the address of a friend or relative in Munster. There is nothing illegal about this and I have asked the passport office and several Gardaí before about this. All that is needed is an address where they can send the passport to. I live in Leinster and have used the Cork office loads of times without any issues.

If the CPSU want to infringe on my right to travel I feel entitled to use whatever legal means to get round such anti social behaviour by some jumped up civil servants.

I see the CPSU drones are now posting here. :rolleyes:
Attack the post, not the person.

Now I did not suggest that anyone use a fake address. I suggested using the address of a friend or relative in Munster. There is nothing illegal about this and I have asked the passport office and several Gardaí before about this. All that is needed is an address where they can send the passport to. I live in Leinster and have used the Cork office loads of times without any issues.
THe form asks for the address to which the passport should be sent, no more, no less. It is not necessarily the residence of the applicant.

The form asks for the address to which the passport should be sent, no more, no less. It is not necessarily the residence of the applicant.
Quite. Thanks for taking the time to clarify that.

Leper; This is the original question which was posted;

"We sent in an application for passports on the 1 Feb. Now they are on strike and I'm wondering how to get around this. We're going to Australia on the 16 March and need to get visas about 2 weeks before this.".

Your answer didn't seem to address the question at all.

It seemed to me that you were just letting off steam.

Attack the post, not the person.

THe form asks for the address to which the passport should be sent, no more, no less. It is not necessarily the residence of the applicant.

No if get your passport and they documents are to be sent out at a later date ( birth cert etc ) they will be sent to the address you provided. Just be careful with this.

thedaras, sorry if I have not answered your question. Enjoy Australia.

And bond007, I am not a member of the CPSU and never was.

But, to get back to the daras, Don't you think 6 weeks before departure is a bit late to be seeking a passport? Surely, you could see late last year when the Public Service people were getting battered by the government, that they were going to bite back.

I could see it, but then again, I have been around the block quite a number of times and am used to economy down-turns, recessions etc.

If I were going to Oz, I would have organised the passport months ago.

Leper; you didn't answer the original post , and you didn't read what I posted either which was a quote from the original post.

I'm not prepared to get into a discussions about how long in advance people should apply for their passports,as there are several discussions going on in letting off steam.

I am looking at the Passport Office Dispute (it is not strike btw) rather coldly.

A few things come to mind:-

(i) Most of the screaming moaners appear to be people who made travel plans months ago and never considered the most important bit i.e are the passports OK? I have little sympathy for these.

(ii) A Trained Seal could see that the Public Service were screwed in the Budget and because they had previously lied down they were going to be screwed again. The Minister's statement that he will screw them once more did not help either. (An argument for a different Forum, I know, but relevant here).

(iii) Now we have people who are travelling in June panicking. This does not help either and hinders people travelling say in April/May who need passports.

(iv) Just when we didn't need it, somebody suggests taking out a false address and applying in the Cork Passport Office. I'm sure this will go down a treat in Cork.

(v) The solution to this is with the government. All talk about sacking the Public Servants is pie-in-the-sky and achieves nothing. By the way, the serial moaners have been looked after and we will hear nothing from them again.

(vi) Some politicians have gone on television and radio and tried to call bluff by suggesting that the low paid workers in the Passport Office should go out on strike. Now, that the union has threatened this, the same politicians are shouting for something else.

I can hear people shouting "Hey Lep! Would you say the same if your passport needed renewal?" The answer is yes.

(If the moderators feel this is off topic, please feel free to delete or move)

Well said, nothing is being mentioned about there being a recruitment embargo in the Public Sector and those that are in there having to do twice the work for less pay. I think this is the only way that they might not get screwed in the next budget.

Not a lot is being mentioned either about, the fact that the unions/workers will not allow the extra 50 workers to take up the jobs.

I think there is a lot being mentioned about it in the media to be honest. Why not reinstate the pay of those experienced workers to do the extra work to clear the backlog and therefore cutting the cost of hiring 50 temporary staff?... seems like the better option?
Its the unions decision not to take on the extra staff not the workers. I'm sure the workers would love to have extra staff but they want fairness too and don't feel its right to be punished for the misadventures of the banks getting us into this mess in the first place.

Its the unions decision not to take on the extra 50 temp staff?

How come ?

I thought the workers gave the union a mandate ,and not the other way around?

I don't think its fair on anyone to take the rap for the banks/governments mismanagement,but there you go ,most of us have done just this.

You say reinstate the pay of the experienced staff to clear the backlog..do you mean give them the overtime? And when the backlog is cleared they go back to their pre backlog pay?

I understood there was a ban on overtime?

Well said, nothing is being mentioned about there being a recruitment embargo in the Public Sector and those that are in there having to do twice the work for less pay. I think this is the only way that they might not get screwed in the next budget.

Perhaps I am wrong on the following but I'd love to know the answer;

1) They do a 32.5 hour week
2) They are not doing overtime

How in anyway are they being asked to do twice the work? They are simply being asked to work while in work. If they are doing twice the work now in the same amount of hours it simply points out they were not working hard enough in the first place.

Back