Passport Expiry Date - US

kmelvin

Hi, I'm travelling to NY tomorrow.

The exp date on my passport is 8th March 2008. I'm travelling back from the US on Sept 11 (so coming back, the 6 month period will be over).

I'm told I need to have a full 6 months on my passport over there. What are the chances of getting pulled up by immigration over this?

Thanks

K

According to this post in an earlier thread, the six-months requirement has been lifted.

You'd better hope so, anyway — helluva date you chose to fly back! :(

Thanks DrMor,

I've used the passport several times in the last 4 years - it meets the machine-readable requirement.

I'll just have to see what happens.

[broken link removed]

Visa Services
Validity of Irish/EU Passports for Travel to the United States

In most cases, to enter the United States, you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter. However, the United States has an agreement with some countries (including Ireland) that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration. An Irish/EU passport need remain valid only for the duration of the holder's stay in the United States. However, if you are traveling visa-free on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and your passport is valid for less than 90 days, you will generally be admitted only until the date the passport expires. Click here for List of Countries with Agreements with the United States to Extend Passport Validity.

Back