Part time neighbour taking civil action against my puppies

Kitten

Hey,

We have 2 six month old boarder collies who have half the garden attributed to them in a run with huge kennel. They are walked by me every morning for 5 miles on an open beach. My husband takes them out in the evening to the beach again (not every evening but 4 out of 7 they get walked twice daily on average 7 miles).

Our immediate neighbours on both sides have dogs. To the left the dog barks when you go to the clothes line and settles after a few mins. To the right (small puppy) can bark when he's on his own.

One of my dogs bark when I come down in the morning, (not excessively) and every morning I bring the dogs in once I hear them. I even get up and let them in and go back upstairs if it's earlier than we normally get up.
If I'm out during the day and return, the pups will see us and bark to get our attention. They are puppies. If this is the case we let them out into the full garden (they've already been walked at this stage remember so it's excitement, not "help get me out of here". I should say their run is very large.

I purposely got 2 dogs as company for each other.

Anyway my neighbour to the back has repeatedly shouted out her window if the dogs start barking, it's like she's attuned to them. The thing is it could be any of the 4 dogs but we get blamed everytime. Both my neighbours have confirmed that my dogs are quiet and absolutely not a problem.

The husband arrived at our door this morning shouting about our dogs barking at 7.30am, I had just gotten up, the dogs had seen me and got excited, by the time our neighbour walked around they were already in the house. One of my other neighbours saw him coming and text me to say she had been up since 6 and our dogs literally had not barked for more than 5 mins at 7.30. They are puppies, excitable and so well looked after it's not funny. He has said he is taking a civil action against us unless we get rid of the dogs.

What do I do??? None of the neighbours will back him up. He walks his dog (yes he owns one!!!) in the estate morning and evening so he can poo!! He never has a scooper. His is the only dog out that roams the estate. All other dogs are kept in gardens and brought to beaches etc for walking. I challenged him on this and he went red but starting threatening again.

He is only a holiday house owner, not a full time resident.

Has anyone any information or experience of a civil action in this regard?

Many thanks
Kitten

Relax. He is all talk. On what grounds does he intend to take a civil action? He doesn't have a case

Tell him you'll make a complaint against him for his dog fouling the path, i'm sure he'll shut up pretty quickly.

Let him off - I'd say he is spoofing. Just say hello and smile every time you see him - confidence trick.

I'd be more concerned about your neighbour who is watching everyones movements at 6am ;)

Did the neighbour pay the €200 tax on his holiday/second home to the council/LA? Your best bet is to totally ignore him (hard to do) - dont feed into this sort of behaviour...!

Tell him to go ahead. The onus is on him to prove his case. He doesnt have a case anyway - he is just being a mouth.

Tell him next time you see his dog out unattended you are calling the Dog Warden.

As far as I know (and open to correction) you are responsible for not making noise or any disturbance between the hours of 11:00 pm to 7:00 am. So you are alright there.

I don't think he has a case (or has a life). Sounds typical of part time occupiers who upset an area/neighbours because they don't have to live there full time.

Let him take his case. How long are they at the back of your house?

Add laxitives to some food and give it to his dog!! Wont solve your situation, but will put a smile on your face!

Hey,

We have 2 six month old boarder collies who have half the garden attributed to them in a run with huge kennel. They are walked by me every morning for 5 miles on an open beach. My husband takes them out in the evening to the beach again (not every evening but 4 out of 7 they get walked twice daily on average 7 miles).

Our immediate neighbours on both sides have dogs. To the left the dog barks when you go to the clothes line and settles after a few mins. To the right (small puppy) can bark when he's on his own.

One of my dogs bark when I come down in the morning, (not excessively) and every morning I bring the dogs in once I hear them. I even get up and let them in and go back upstairs if it's earlier than we normally get up.
If I'm out during the day and return, the pups will see us and bark to get our attention. They are puppies. If this is the case we let them out into the full garden (they've already been walked at this stage remember so it's excitement, not "help get me out of here". I should say their run is very large.

I purposely got 2 dogs as company for each other.

Anyway my neighbour to the back has repeatedly shouted out her window if the dogs start barking, it's like she's attuned to them. The thing is it could be any of the 4 dogs but we get blamed everytime. Both my neighbours have confirmed that my dogs are quiet and absolutely not a problem.

The husband arrived at our door this morning shouting about our dogs barking at 7.30am, I had just gotten up, the dogs had seen me and got excited, by the time our neighbour walked around they were already in the house. One of my other neighbours saw him coming and text me to say she had been up since 6 and our dogs literally had not barked for more than 5 mins at 7.30. They are puppies, excitable and so well looked after it's not funny. He has said he is taking a civil action against us unless we get rid of the dogs.

What do I do??? None of the neighbours will back him up. He walks his dog (yes he owns one!!!) in the estate morning and evening so he can poo!! He never has a scooper. His is the only dog out that roams the estate. All other dogs are kept in gardens and brought to beaches etc for walking. I challenged him on this and he went red but starting threatening again.

He is only a holiday house owner, not a full time resident.

Has anyone any information or experience of a civil action in this regard?

Many thanks
Kitten

He sounds a bit Victor Meldrew over-the-top, but objectively what is the noise from your dogs like? I have to say that any neighbour responsible for noise early in the morning is probably not something I'd be happy to put up with on more than a couple of occasions. Barking is simply not pleasant. It can become irritating pretty quickly. The fact that it's just 'the puppies getting excited' only explains what's causing it, it doesn't excuse it. Substitute 'dogs barking' for 'party music' and you would be pretty fed up. Just trying to give some perspective. From what you have outlined it sounds like it would be worth having a conversation with your neighbour. There might be something else at play here - does he work nights etc.?

Tell him to get stuffed. If he doesn't want to explain why they're complaining, why should you ask. It's not as if they're out barking all night (which would annoy anyone).
Besides, they're puppies and they'll grow out of it and if he's only a 'fair weather neighbour' then to hell with him.
By the time he arrives next summer, you can have them trained to bite him :)

He sounds a bit Victor Meldrew over-the-top, but objectively what is the noise from your dogs like? I have to say that any neighbour responsible for noise early in the morning is probably not something I'd be happy to put up with on more than a couple of occasions. Barking is simply not pleasant. It can become irritating pretty quickly. The fact that it's just 'the puppies getting excited' only explains what's causing it, it doesn't excuse it. Substitute 'dogs barking' for 'party music' and you would be pretty fed up. Just trying to give some perspective. From what you have outlined it sounds like it would be worth having a conversation with your neighbour. There might be something else at play here - does he work nights etc.?

I can honestly say the barking is so minimal it's not funny. I'm here pretty much 24/7. If and when I hear one of them barking in the morning either myself or hubbie tear downstairs to let them straight in so there may be 6 barks? At this stage she's at her window wild eyed. If I genuinely thought my dogs were being an irritant I would have them indoors more. I absolutely agree consistent barking would drive anyone mental. My dogs were in since 6 this am and the neighbours dog kicked off a bit, certainly not enough to annoy me or anyone normal but I'm sure she has documented it as my dogs. Of 29 houses nobody else has uttered a word and I would be regularly chatting to most of my neighbours and have asked if the dogs have caused any annoyance. Someone 3 houses up didn't realise we even had dogs. Little angels. :D

Edited to add, he doesn't work, they are retired and grumpy. If I chose to, I could put a trampoline and swing set at the end of my garden backing on to his, I have 4 boys under 5 that would be only too delighted to have their friends over to "play". My buddy who has 3 boys under 5 and lives 2 doors from him purposely keep them out the front to avoid annoying people that may be enjoying their back gardens. You picture 7 boys under 5 and the racket they could make!!!

I'm starting to think I might just go for the trampoline and swingset if he carries on his case!

Last edited:
Not everyone appreciates dogs barking at 7:30am. People dont mind kids playing in gardens as its generally during a time when most people are awake.

Has it occurred to you that the dogs may be barking at sunrise i.e. 5-6am in the morning, but you just havent heard the barking due to being in deep sleep and used to the dogs?

I think your neighbours are being completely over the top but I do have issues with dogs being left outside all night. I know you bring your's in the minute they start barking, but at that stage they've already woken people up. A dog on my road went into a shril barking fit at 4am this morning. He was brought inside immediately but I had already woken up with a start and it took me ages to get back to sleep.

I think though that your neighbours are being really rude. If they have an issue they should discuss it with you politely not march up your drive threatening legal action.

If there are only two of them and they weren't just grumpy then they could easily sleep in their front bedroom. The trampoline seems like a good plan and will take their minds/moaning away from the dogs ;)

Not everyone appreciates dogs barking at 7:30am. People dont mind kids playing in gardens as its generally during a time when most people are awake.

Has it occurred to you that the dogs may be barking at sunrise i.e. 5-6am in the morning, but you just havent heard the barking due to being in deep sleep and used to the dogs?

You must have missed my reference to 4 kids under 5 - I barely sleep!! I haven't had sleep let alone a deep one in years! I hear them the minute they bark and actually they don't bark everyday by any means. These people complain if the kids run out the back and the dogs bark.

If there are only two of them and they weren't just grumpy then they could easily sleep in their front bedroom. The trampoline seems like a good plan and will take their minds/moaning away from the dogs ;)

They do sleep in the front! I'm telling you it's a conspiracy :D

I think your neighbours are being completely over the top but I do have issues with dogs being left outside all night.

They have a very large kennel with blankets in a special bed, why would you have concerns? Just curious?

I think your neighbours are being completely over the top but I do have issues with dogs being left outside all night.

They have a very large kennel with blankets in a special bed, why would you have concerns? Just curious?

Not concerns about the dogs welfare. I mean concerns about dogs being left outside where, if anything happens to make them bark, it will disturb the neighbours.

Back