parking yellow line outside your own driveway

rrrrrrrrrr

When the council decides that
your street is to be pay and display and marks out defined spaces with yellow lines at the existing driveways to keep them clear, is it ok to park your own car in front of your
own drive? After all the yellow line is there for your benefit in the first place! Wouldn't it be silly to get a ticket in this case?

How do you know they painted the lines there for your benefit? It might be that they painted them there expressly to stop residents parking on the road and making it too narrow as a result.

No. You can't park on a double yellow at any time.

You can't park on a single yellow during business hours, I think.

Are you sure that the Council decided? Usually it is put to the residents to vote. We initiated the process on our road and they put forward a scheme. Their scheme was rejected and they came back with a revised scheme which was accepted. But it was at our initiative.

Have they done the yellow lines yet? If not, ask to see the plans and object if you wish.

Brendan

You can't park on a single yellow during business hours, I think.

Usually between 7am and 7pm.

We have a single yellow line outside our house and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. People park everywhere, the road is severely congested during morning and evening rush hours, but the yellow line has never been enforced by the gardai. I've been blocked into the driveway for over 20 minutes in the past as people park up across the gate and go for a wander. Very annoying.

Can you contact the Gardai about enforcing the yellow line? If so, what are the chances of them doing anything about it?

I called the clampers this morning for cars illegally parked near Lansdowne Road Bridge. When I came back in the afternoon, one of them was clamped. The rest were gone.

It's worth calling the clampers - 6022500 - option 2. It depends on how busy they are at the time. If the cars are blocking an exit for a wheelchair, then they will tend to come quickly.

Brendan

Boo! - Down with that sort of thing.....

What, so we should just let people throw their cars wherever they fancy and cause massive congestion and inconvenience for everyone else?

I never understand this attitude to people enforcing our laws.

I have to admit I would actually take pleasure in being the cause of someone getting clamped - if they were illegally parked and were causing me inconvenience.

You mean ignorant and illegal parking? I agree.

They're not necessarily the same thing.

There's plenty of places where illegal parking "shouldn't" be illegal.

Ignorant, lazy, inconsiderate and just plain 'bad' parking, on the other hand, fire at will :)

So you just say that this is the case if you want them out quickly?

I don't report every illegally parked car.

But if I see a woman pushing a pram being forced out onto the street by a car on a footpath, I call the clampers.

If I see cars parked in a bicycle lane, I usually call the clampers.

I would prefer to see a better solution. Some of the staff and patients of Baggot Street Hospital park illegally on Haddington Road, and if there is a Garda nearby , I ask them to move them. They give them tickets, but the same cars park there all the time.

Brendan

What if they are not illegally parked, but are causing an inconvenience?

For example, the Lower Churchtown Road end of Orwell Road, in D14.
There is always a stream of cars parked there, on the southern side of the road. During evening rush hour, you must often wait for oncoming traffic to pass, in order to get by.

Anyone know what the process is to apply for double yellows instead of single yellow lines?

Assuming consent of fellow residents, of course...Its in DCC territory.

Back