Parking ticket & summons for parking in a loading bay

I am in the wrong. (

Grand so.

Our local bookshop in Dalkey closed last week, another place where you're likely to be nabbed if you leave your car for 2 mins.
(

It's likely that the local bookshop closed because local Dalkey residents (i.e. its customer base) do not value local bookshops. I've never heard a book enthusiast yet say that they don't visit the local bookshop because there is no parking.

It really is time to get beyond this car obsession we all seem to have, with related convictions about the right to place the heap of metal down at our own convenience wherever we like.

I realize that technically what I did was illegal and that technically I am in the wrong.

Look it is really very simple, you do not get to pick and choose which laws you are going to obey and which not!

As you can see I have strong opinions on this subject and I do genuinely try to shop local, but I guess it's Tesco's and Amazon.com for me from now on :(

If you do not agree with a law, then campaigne to have it changed, have your strong opinions led you to do this??

I got a parking ticket recently in the post and it was from the Gardai. For parking on a double yellow line, but it was outside a church and on a Sunday. I wasn't blocking any access etc. and i was very miffed at the Gardai.
Money collection racket. But i will pay it so as to have an easy life. But i will explain my grievances too while paying the fine.

so just because it is a SUnday and is outside a church blocking no access means it's pk to park on a double yellow line - which actually means no parking at any time.
It may be a case that if two cars were parked on both sides of the road at the same time it would block the road.

I got a parking ticket recently in the post and it was from the Gardai. For parking on a double yellow line, but it was outside a church and on a Sunday. I wasn't blocking any access etc. and i was very miffed at the Gardai.
Money collection racket. But i will pay it so as to have an easy life. But i will explain my grievances too while paying the fine.

Double yellow lines are there for a reason - unless you were sitting in your car all the time, you have no idea if you caused an obstruction or not... and since you knew what you were doing, you choose to contribute to their collection!

He probably just didn't realise that the double yellow applies on Sunday. But he knows now. No harm done.

Yesterday's Independent...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/parking-regime-blamed-for-trade-fall-3101461.html

"more than 60 shops have closed in the main shopping areas in the town.....Some traders blame a very tough parking regime in Dun Laoghaire as a factor which has contributed to the area's decline in trade......In three years....more than 100,000 parking fines were issued"

Meanwhile in today's Irish Times:
[broken link removed]

"Ireland’s independent retail sector shrunk by half during the boom years, while the multiples grew by more than 60 per cent in the five years between 2001 and 2006. However, it is a fact that local shops return 32 cents of every euro spent to the local economy, because they’re more likely to purchase locally too, while the return from multiples trucking in most of their supplies from abroad amounts to just 16 cents of every euro in the revenue they earn.The availability of free parking in out-of-town retailing locations has undoubtedly made them more attractive than city or town centres with “pay-and-display” schemes or multi-storey carparks charging exhorbitant rates."

Update

Anyway I ended up not paying the fine in time, and ended up in court.
The charge was dismissed, so no fine at all :)

I don't think it was pull, unless it was the man above. :)

Back