Parking outside house buggy owner annoyed

Maybe they would be more common (and capable of doing more day-to-day things that the rest of us take for granted) if drivers would just keep off the paths.

Except that wasn't what I was talking about. If you don't don't see wheelchair users very often, you are simply not going to be as aware of them as you would if you do see them very often. That just a truism. I was making the point that people are just not aware.

You will probably attract more wheel chair users into an area if there is wide foot paths and plenty of parking easy access. Area's where there not much parking, and narrow footpaths wouldn't attract that many wheel chair users or people with buggies etc.

How is it realistic to have zero tolerance and full enforcement of parking on pavement, when we have a very long history of very poor enforcement of a wide range of offences, not just parking.

... You will probably attract more wheel chair users into an area if there is wide foot paths and plenty of parking easy access. Area's where there not much parking, and narrow footpaths wouldn't attract that many wheel chair users or people with buggies etc...

Attract them?

There should be no question of attracting them, and definitely no question of repelling them.

Except that wasn't what I was talking about. If you don't don't see wheelchair users very often, you are simply not going to be as aware of them as you would if you do see them very often. That just a truism. I was making the point that people are just not aware.
I don't accept this. If you are not aware of wheelchair users, that is due to ignorance, not due to how many wheelchair users you see each day. This is of course a vicious circle, as if you are not aware of wheelchair users and other people with disabilities, you will not be taking those simple actions that accomodate people with disabilities to participate in life.

You will probably attract more wheel chair users into an area if there is wide foot paths and plenty of parking easy access. Area's where there not much parking, and narrow footpaths wouldn't attract that many wheel chair users or people with buggies etc.
This seems to suggest that most people have a range of choices around the areas they go to or go through. Most people don't have such choices, and their routes and destinations are dictated by availability of employment or education etc.
How is it realistic to have zero tolerance and full enforcement of parking on pavement, when we have a very long history of very poor enforcement of a wide range of offences, not just parking.
It is very realistic to have full enforcement of parking regulations if we put our mind to it. Look at the smoking ban - we've had 5 years of near-zero tolerance, largely through self-enforcement. If we as a society decide to prioritise this, it will be enforced.

Attract them?

There should be no question of attracting them, and definitely no question of repelling them.

Who is them? People with buggies? Its a fact of life that some places are more suitable to your needs than others. It may have parking. it may not have parking. That doesn't mean that all places should have parking. Or that no place should have parking. Ditto some places are near a pub, near a school, close to the airport.

I don't accept this. If you are not aware of wheelchair users, that is due to ignorance, not due to how many wheelchair users you see each day. This is of course a vicious circle, as if you are not aware of wheelchair users and other people with disabilities, you will not be taking those simple actions that accomodate people with disabilities to participate in life.

Therefore it must be ignorance not to know what a baby or kids need if you've never had any experience of them. Or its ignorance if you have a tea station and no cups with lids, as everyone should know people on crutches can't carry open cups. or braille labels on everything.

This seems to suggest that most people have a range of choices around the areas they go to or go through. Most people don't have such choices, and their routes and destinations are dictated by availability of employment or education etc.

Thats a fair point. But equally you'll tend to get some areas which have more families in them than others. Some areas would have hardly any families in them. Obviously you'll get more child friendly facilities and resources in one area than the other.

It is very realistic to have full enforcement of parking regulations if we put our mind to it. Look at the smoking ban - we've had 5 years of near-zero tolerance, largely through self-enforcement. If we as a society decide to prioritise this, it will be enforced.

Well thats a good parallel, and a good point. But it would be interesting to see why that change happened and other equally important regulations are not self enforced.

You are obfuscating the point. The point is not that some places are by their nature more or less suitable for particular groups. The point is that perfectly accessible places are made inaccessible, awkward and downright dangerous for no other reason than people parking their cars are thoughtless and law breaking!
Its a very simple idea, pavements are for pedestrians of all kinds, not for parking your car. If you can't park legally in that spot, park somewhere else. Do not inconvenience others by selfish parking.

Whats obfuscating is quoting me out of context to try and make that my point. But that wasn't what I was saying. I was simply saying that people often aren't aware of things they don't see/experience very often. Then giving the reason why you might not see it very often.

Like people aren't aware why a cyclist needs to come out of a cycle lane at a junction, and block the cars behind them, because most drivers have no experience of it. Even though legally you have to stay in a cycle lane where there is one. If you don't interact with cyclists, in your usual driving because there aren't any on that route, you don't won't be aware of issues like that.

My neighbour constantly has visitors and they all park across the footpath so it is impossible for anyone to use the footpath. It is incredibly selfish and ignorant and makes me so angry. Everyday I seethe about this and would like to say something to them but it is a difficult situation because I have to live next door to them. I have considered putting an anonymous note through their door or even calling the guards but I probably wont do anything but continue to seethe and vent on 'askaboutmoney'!

Incidentally, I was visiting my friend the other day and we decided to go for a walk with her 11 week old twins. One of her neighbours had parked across the footpath which would force us onto the road with the buggy. Luckily, the car owner spotted what was going on and came out and moved the car and also apologised.

I just feel that some people are very self obsessed and have an inability to think of others and how their actions could negatively affect others.

I just feel that some people are very self obsessed and have an inability to think of others and how their actions could negatively affect others.
At least they keep those bloody trouble making wheelchair owners out of the area... nothing but trouble that lot.

Back