Paris recommendations

bongo2

Hi everyone. I'm off to Paris on a romantic weekend with my husband in a couple of weeks. Been to France countless times but never to Paris. Know that I want to go to the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre but would welcome any ideas./tips any of you could suggest.

Thanks in advance

Louvre is free in on the first sunday of every month - if this is the same weekend that you visit paris, make sure you get there early.

Champs Elysses, Montmartre and Sacre Coeur.

Also did a canal cruise - that was worthwhile.

Enjoy.

If you like museums, you should visit Musee D'Orsay. It's in a converted railway station not far from La Place de la Concorde.

Homer

Louvre is free in on the first sunday of every month - if this is the same weekend that you visit paris, make sure you get there early.

Would not recommend this, even early on, it will be mobbed and not at all romantic!! Actually if you're going any weekend I'd skip the Louvre, its best done midweek. Musee d'Orsay would be a much more enjoyable experience at a weekend.

If you want to go to the Eiffel tower, pre-book your tickets online. Took some friends in December and we queued for 4 hours!

More romantic than the tower itself is the view of the Tower from the Trocadero. Try to go there when it's dark and time it so you're there for the on the hour light show.

Bateaux Mouches are the best way to see a load of the city. It costs under €10 for a 90 min cruise. Boats go from Pont d'Alma. Wrap up warm, it's freezing on the Seine.

For a restaurant, I would recommend Le Coup Chou for ambience and genuine Parisienne dishes at a reasonable price. Myself and Mrs. Carpedeum have returned there every time during recent visits (recommended to me by a French work colleague).

http://www.lecoupechou.com/index.php

I've always wanted to eat here [broken link removed]

I had a cocktail there once, that'll have to do for now :)

I'd go with Musee d'Orsay too. Great collection of stuff. Lovely building. The Louvre is too big and always packed to the rafters. Far too touristy.

For romance, simply wander around areas like Montmartre or the side streets off St Jacques & St Michel (near the Sorbonne) & into the jardin de Luxembourg. Eat croissants and drink coffee on a cobbled street, hire bicycles etc

Mmm. Don't know if I'd be inclined to hire a bicylce in Paris. I value my life too much.

I agree with the post that you shouldn't avail of the free Louvre day. You would be better off paying the entry fee on the day after. I think the Louvre is open every day except Tuesday.

I wouldn't hugely recommend going to the Sacre Couer but that's a personal opinion. We got hounded by people trying to sell us things.

I would also climb the Arc de Triomphe at night time - fab view of the city!

For a restaurant, I would recommend Le Coup Chou for ambience and genuine Parisienne dishes at a reasonable price. Myself and Mrs. Carpedeum have returned there every time during recent visits (recommended to me by a French work colleague).

I don't know if this place has changed hands since Carpedeum's recommendation in 2010, but I ate there last week and wouldn't be in a rush to return. We waited easily 10 minutes, if not longer, just to get a menu. When we did eventually order, our food arrived within minutes, suspiciously quickly!! Just as well I wasn't starving as the portions were small. I had the boeuf bourginon served in small soup bowl: 4 pieces of meat and 2 small potatoes (€20). In contrast, the chocolate mousse could have fed 2 people. My dining companion had veal and rice, no vegetables with either dish. With a nice bottle of Cotes du Rhone (€21), the bill came to around €90 for two. The most annoying part of the experience was the young waitress who was trying to show off her bit of English at every opportunity when it was evident we both spoke competent French. Not just rude but downright irritating. The decor is lovely but I wouldn't seek it out again.

Hi Bongo2. Depending on what you are looking for here are a few suggestions:

]Ile de la Cité + Ile Saint Louis = they are natural islands in the Seine and are an absolute must for anybody who want to discover the true charm and character of the city.

L'Opéra Garnier and its district

Galeries Lafayettes = head to the food hall though!!! There is also a top roof cafe where you can admire beautiful views over the city while sipping a coffee.

Le quartier du Marais

Dinner cruise on the Seine = there are many companies that operate those.

Parc des buttes chaumont = for an afternoon stroll

Montmartre

Le Panthéon = originally a church but is now a mausoleum. Amazing architecture (located in the Latin Quarter)

In the Beaubourg area = Georges Pompidou Centre: houses a public library + National Museum of modern art + IRCAM, which is a research centre dedicated to music.

A stroll on the Champs Elysées

A trip up the Tour Montparnasse.

Hope this helps!

Back