Parental Leave Entitlement

zippidydo

Hi, I am back to work full-time, now with 2 kids and was wondering if I could cut my hours from 40 per week to 37 hours per week. Can't afford to cut anymore but those 3 hours would make all the difference to spending more time with the kids.
If I take the unpaid parental leave this will only total 156 hours for the year, can I do this without taking the full 14 weeks unpaid leave, I would be only taking the equivalent of 4 weeks unpaid leave in a year?

Parental Leave

Yes, there is another employee who takes one day a week off at mo and who will probably end up taking the full 14 weeks by year end. There is no one else taking a few hours a week like what I am hoping to do. There is no policy document either, our employee handbook just states the info from citizens info site. I am hoping the chance for my employer to save up to €50 a week will sway them to agree and I cant see them having any problem as the work required will still be done in the reduced hours, in fact some employees have been put on a 3 day a week, so should suit the company.

As parental leave is unpaid I'm pretty sure that you don't have to take the 14 weeks within a year. You just have to take it before your children are a certain age (5 or 6 I think). Your employer does have the right to have a say in how you take your leave but it sounds like they should be okay about it seeing as they let another member of staff take a day off a week.

hi. afaik, you have to apply for it in advance. it can be taken until the child is aged 8 yrs. your employer is not obliged to grant it every time its requested. it would be best for you to speak with your employer in advance to discuss the situation

Back