Painting wood furniture

Hi Toby
Managed to find that tin of paint: it's Crown Period Colours, eggshell finish (Colour Bonnet). It's a a low VOC water based product, but I found it applied far better than most other water based finishes I've had had experience of using to date. The problem with your finish may lie with the fact that yours was shop mixed- in my experience the shop mixed paints are not of the same quality as those mixed at the factory.

Thanks Carpenter, its very kind of you to track down what you used for me. Interesting that shop mixed stuff tends to be inferior, I must remember that in future. Well maybe we'll slap on a coat of what you used some time on top of whats there now - that'd be okay wouldn't it? Thanks again.

I wouldn't like to use the term "inferior", but they are certainly not of the same quality (I suppose this is the same thing anyway!). If your are going to recoat your furniture you should probably rub it down with some fine steel wool to give a very light key and degrease with a rag and some white spirit.

Hi,

I am going to be doing some painting of a newly installed stairs soon and was wondering about the Zinsser product (eg: http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/z/ZINBIN/).

It is like ronseal and does exactly what it says on the tin such as sealing knots and providing a base coat for further painting. My stairs are white deal I think and quite knotty so something like this which can be just painted on would be ideal but seems like too easy a way out so there must be a catch!

Any thoughts?

That is why I would always recommend a coat of clear varnish after you've painted. It makes it a lot more durable and easy to wipe marks off. Prevents paint from being chipped too

That is why I would always recommend a coat of clear varnish after you've painted. It makes it a lot more durable and easy to wipe marks off. Prevents paint from being chipped too

4.5 years on...I hope they're sorted by now.

lol id like to think so.. my comment was more directed at others that might stumble across the thread looking for advice

Back