Painting tips for new houses?

Setanta12

Hi,

Been told to sticky-tape the skirting boards and plugs etc but also to do the edges/difficult parts first - anything else, top-down, bottom-up etc etc ?

I'm very new to this ...

Been told to sticky-tape
Don't use sticky tape, use masking tape...

make sure rooms are as empty as possible to give you free movement... plan to do similar areas within the one time... e.g. if you have 3 rooms, try to get all ceilings done on the one day. Leave proper drying time between quotes.

If fresh plastered walls, then you might need to pre-do the walls & ceilings with a sealant / paint. Check the paint shops for advice or plenty of helpful info from AAM members who have gone through this...

Another thing to ask yourself - would you look in getting someone in to do it for you?

if it is new plaster give it alight rub with sandpaper to get the "nibs" off then a mist coat, i.e. watered down white emulsion which will show all the imperfections when it dries and then you can fill these in before first coat proper emulsion. After first coat emulsion proper another little look around and fill and rub down more holes etc. Then final coat emulsion.

The key to a good finish is the amount of preparation. Wear a dustmask when sanding. Enjoy :->

Thanks to all for all the replies. I'll be tackling this alone! (Gulp!)

In terms of rooms within house, top of house down - i.e first floor first etc.

Use good quality paint and tools - not the shop brand stuff.
False economy and turns off white/greyish tinge to it quick enough.
Crown, Dulux etc..
And no paint covers properely in one coat.
Never mind what it says on the tin!

Thanks to all for all the replies. I'll be tackling this alone! (Gulp!)

In terms of rooms within house, top of house down - i.e first floor first etc.

Maybe not. each room is self contained. Maybe better to start with walls that need more cover. Do all whites first, celings then wall undercoats as outlined above. Some rooms may need more prep than others and more coats. If all equal, start with rooms you will most live in. If you get fed up then flaws will not show up so much in back bedroom etc;).

Advice on getting clean edges when painting......

If you have no experience of painting edges like at the edge of the ceiling or around a door and you are not naturally artistically talented, then expect the first one to be not-so-perfect. Start with a room that you care least about - maybe the spare bedroom.

Use masking tape for all edges, but paint as if its not there. Dont slap on the paint and expect the rip off the masking tape and have a perfect edge.

Most masking tape will take off the paint underneath it if you are not careful, especially if it is fresh paint.

Use a small brush, dont overfill the brush with paint, work slowly, keep a damp cloth nearby at all times.

If you are naturally good at it- great. If not, take your time, you will improve.

Advice on getting clean edges when painting......

If you have no experience of painting edges like at the edge of the ceiling or around a door and you are not naturally artistically talented, then expect the first one to be not-so-perfect. Start with a room that you care least about - maybe the spare bedroom.

Use masking tape for all edges, but paint as if its not there. Dont slap on the paint and expect the rip off the masking tape and have a perfect edge.

Most masking tape will take off the paint underneath it if you are not careful, especially if it is fresh paint.

Use a small brush, dont overfill the brush with paint, work slowly, keep a damp cloth nearby at all times.

If you are naturally good at it- great. If not, take your time, you will improve.

I seen recently I think in Woodies or B&Q, some new edging bruses that are cut at a 45 Deg angle..I suppose to improve edge quality. Anybody try this yet and are they worth it?

I seen recently I think in Woodies or B&Q, some new edging bruses that are cut at a 45 Deg angle..I suppose to improve edge quality. Anybody try this yet and are they worth it?

They'll make it a little easier. The key to a good edge is a good quality brush, don't overload the paint, patience and practice.

If using masking tape, get the low-tack stuff, and take it off before the paint has a chance to dry.

The low tack is good advice.Get good brushes,dont get Euro shop brushes because the quality is not good.That also goes for paint.

All good advise and as mentioned, painting is all about preparation. One thing to make sure is that all surfaces are clean and dust free before you paint. Wipe down all skirting boards and door frames, hoover all wall/ceiling angles to remove dirt/dust/cobwebs etc. Buy good quality rollers, some of the cheaper ones leave fuzz/lint on the wall etc

I had a painter in recently and he insists on 3M masking tape, minimum 2" wide. I think it removes cleaner without leaving adhesive. Masking is a pain but has been said before preparation is key. Also, if you are competent, slightly loosen Plugs and switches and mask around these. Place old sheets or tape newspapers over the doors / windows to prevent splattering.

The paint is important and dont be tempted to use cheaper quality as undercoats.

I had a painter in recently and he insists on 3M masking tape, minimum 2" wide. I think it removes cleaner without leaving adhesive. Masking is a pain but has been said before preparation is key. Also, if you are competent, slightly loosen Plugs and switches and mask around these. Place old sheets or tape newspapers over the doors / windows to prevent splattering.

The paint is important and dont be tempted to use cheaper quality as undercoats.

ill second that... only use 3m tape 2".been using it for years.you can leave it on for a few days or 2 weeks even.A big problem is people don't realise the amount of work involved and it takes them a'lot longer than they thought, and they leave the tape on for weeks,and then it cant be removed,again as i have said in gthe past if its newly plastered walls use acrylic primer first and take your time..dont rush it..

Back