Painting Skirting and Architraves

Kitekat

Hi. I have just bought a second hand house. The doors, architraves, skirting boards and stairs are painted white. I am changing the doors to shaker oak. As it is quite expensive to change the architraves and skirtings to oak I'm wondering could I paint the architraves and skirting an off white or cream? Would they all have to be sanded down first? Is it a big job. Anyone know how much roughly a painter would charge to do it?

Hi. I have just bought a second hand house. The doors, architraves, skirting boards and stairs are painted white. I am changing the doors to shaker oak. As it is quite expensive to change the architraves and skirtings to oak I'm wondering could I paint the architraves and skirting an off white or cream? Would they all have to be sanded down first? Is it a big job. Anyone know how much roughly a painter would charge to do it?

Of course you could paint the architrave and skirting cream or white, or indeed any colour you like.

It would be necessary to sand them down to give the new paint a "key"

Is it a big job? No idea what you would regard as a "big job" and also no idea how many door frames or how much skirting you have.

"Anyone know how much roughly a painter would charge to do it?"
See my answer above. If you gave a bit more info I'm sure you would get more accurate answers,

Yeah I was a bit vague with the information alright. Its 7 doors and 62 m 6" of skirting.

we are currently in middle of new build and looking at skirting,arch,door frames etc.

The doors we were looking at were white oak (I think,not 100% on that as been a while since we looked at them), its a light brown colour anyway.

We are thinking of going with red deal skirting, architrave, doorframe (as a lot cheaper than oak) and painting an off white(based on recommendations on aam).

Has anyone else done this and does it look good? Don't think the red deal would go with the doors if they were just stained and don't want to be looking at too much wood.

As per aam posters an 'off white' is good to go for with skirting,arch etc. possibly
http://www.colortrend.ie/collections/select , colourtrend, French White 0401W. Any opinions on this?

I read a post that recommended not going with a gloss finish? Does anyone know why, have they done this? Would dust not stick to a mat finish more?

Thanks in advance for all info.

My doors and skirting are all satinwood paint rather than gloss, I dont think it has anything to do with dust but they just look better, dont like the real shiny look. I just started yesterday repainting all woodwork in house which is all white, doors, skirting, radiator cabinets, stairs. I am using Crown satinwood at the moment because it was on special offer, usually use Dulux, using white because I find it discolours slightly very quickly and you end up with off white anyway. This seems more obvious in the rooms that get sun, when painting in kitchen yesterday which is very sunny doors are gone so off white they are nearly cream whereas in hall which gets no sun they are much whiter.

Back