painting over a dark colour?

Sarah

Hi all,

Another quick question. My kitchen is currently a dark green and i want to paint it lemon. Will i need to paint an undercoat on first before painting it yellow? Also where do you get undercoat or is is just any old white paint? Thanks a mill.

Hi all,

Another quick question. My kitchen is currently a dark green and i want to paint it lemon. Will i need to paint an undercoat on first before painting it yellow?

Well, you'll need a few coats of something anyway - undercoat will be a lot cheaper than applying coats of your lemon paint.

Also where do you get undercoat or is is just any old white paint?

Any decent paint shop has it - it's not the same as ordinary paint, the texture being different for a start, allowing better adhesion for the new paint. Careful, it's as difficult to get off clothes etc as gloss.

When painting light colours over dark, I would say it's a good idea to go the undercoat route.

I think for dark green the undercoat you need is grey, probably two coats, your paint supplier should be able to advise. Please don't go down the road of white undercoat.

Am a bit late seeing this post - why grey and not white? Just wondering - am ignorant of such matters but will be painting myself soon.

Thanks
Sprite

Am a bit late seeing this post - why grey and not white? ...
Dunno either - a painter told me once about the various undercoats to use on dark colours before painting with a lighter shade and this is the only one I seem to remember. Sorry :(

Hope you colour change is successful. ;)

With a grey undercoat it will be easy to see any patchyness when you do the top coat in lemon yellow.

Back