painting long hall wall..prevent paint lines

johnnyg

Hi,

I need to repaint my hall but the last time i did this, you could see where the individual roller brush strokes are, like the paint dried too quickly, is there any trick to prevent this from happening, the same happened on my ceilings, it only seems to happen on long walls or ceilings, the other walls turned out fine..any help appreciated as the current finish does not look well, the paint i used was a satin finish for the wall and matt for the ceiling..
Cheers

no the area is too confined and spray is messy...wouldn't watering lose the colour depth?

It might be that you were painting in 'stripes' like cutting a lawn - I've found that this is generally not the best way to paint when using a roller. You might be less likely to get roller strokes if you paint more omnidirectionally - using horizontal and diagonal strokes as well as vertical.

no the area is too confined and spray is messy...wouldn't watering lose the colour depth?
I've just recently painted our hall and watered down to ease application. A small amount of water (c.10%) doesn't change the colour, but a lot of watering down would probably effect the quality of the paint.
Caveats advice is also good in that you need to make sure you roll in all directions to get the paint applied evenly.
Also make sure you turn off radiators or other heat sources as this tends to dry out the pain too quickly.

[broken link removed]

Was in the trade before these products became widely used , wish we had them 20 years ago

If the edge of the roller caused lines to appear for each of the roller strokes. Ensure to sand these lines away before applying the new paint as they will come through the next colour too. Cut in the area first (top/bottom of walls around doors etc...) Get a dip of paint on the roller ensuring to roll off excess on the paint tray. Then imagine a roughly 4 foot squared area on the wall. Use the roller to paint a 'W' shape in this area. This will spread the paint evenly in this area. Now use diagonal strokes to finish off the area. Ensure to slightly overlap previously cut-in areas. As lemiester said, watering down the paint helps to ease the application. About a half mug to a full mug of water per gallon of paint should do it and stir it well. Any more will water it down too much and you will have to apply more coats to cover the old colour.

Philboy.

thanks Philboy and lemester, i actually did both those techniques and it worked out perfectly..way better than the first time

[broken link removed]

Was in the trade before these products became widely used , wish we had them 20 years ago

Would recommend this - emulsion dries out due to evaporation, Floetrol keeps the wet edge longer allowing for a more uniform drying.

ninsaga

Back