Painting light color on dark

I

ias

I'm planning to change my dark color bedroom walls to light. I was told to apply the undercoat before applying the light colored paint but I'm unable to find the undercoat for walls. Most of the the undercoats available in market are for Wood or Metal but not for walls. Could somebody please suggest me a good (not very expensive) undercoat for walls?

Can I use Crown CoverMatt(please see the link below) as undercoat?
http://www.woodiesdiy.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=3929&loc=P&catid=2.6

My bedroom walls are painted with dark colored semi-gloss (I'm not sure if they are semi glossy or matt but they look shiny) paint, will light colored matt paint stick on it?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

you dont necessarily need to apply an undercoat - you could simply use a white coloured paint
HTH

get a flat cheap white matt paint and do one heavy coat, any assistant in a hardware shop will point you in the right direction and then 2 coats of your new colour and you will be sorted

I read recently that it's better to use a grey paint to cover strong colours. It will cover better than white while not over powering your ligter top coat.
Leo

If you are painting over a semi-gloss with ordinary matt, then it is best to undercoat the walls first. This will ensure that the paint sticks properly, if you don't then the paint may not stick correctly and it "may" eventually peel off in sheets.
If you don't want to use an undercoat, then as an alternative, you should sand the walls with some fine sandpaper (180 grade). Then dust down the walls before you apply the emulsion. This will deaden the gloss in the paint and give the walls a bit of texture that will allow the matt paint to stick to it better.

Back