Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Nationaldude

Anybody got any tips about painting kitchen presses/doors? Is their a specific paint required, I presume the first step would be a primer of sort.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Nationaldude,

Here is some advice I gave to someone else on my website regarding painted your kitchen.

The first you need to do is make sure your kitchen is completely clean and de-greased. Do do this rub your kitchen down with hot soapy water (squeeze out the cloth before you wipe the kitchen down) or use a kitchen de-greaser to clean it.
You can then give the it a very light sanding using the finest sandpaper you can get. Your kitchen is pine which is a soft wood. The last thing you want to do is scrape the pine with the sandpaper. It’s just a very fine sanding to remove any rough patches. Note that it is best to remove the kitchen doors before painting to make it easier on yourself. Give the kitchen a wipe down then to remove any dust and then apply a quick drying primer to give a good undercoat and seal. Then using a good paint brush or small roller (even using a small roller a brush will be needed for awkward areas) give the kitchen its first coat of an eggshell paint. When that coat is completely dry, apply the second coat of eggshell. This should be more than enough to give a good even coat.
Remember to make sure your brushstrokes are even as you don’t want the finished product to look messy. Just take your time and you will be fine.

Hope this helps

HI nationaldude,
Did you paint the kitchen presses and if so how did it go? Any tips. Got paint, primer & sandpaper to do this at the weekend.

One tip when I painted our kitchen was to put old jam jars, bottles or similar on the floor and lay your doors flat on these when you have painted them, prevents any runs or 'blobs' of paint accumulating.
We also used the small gloss sponge rollers rather than brushes this gave a lovely even finish, though is probably not as 'glossy' a finish that brushes give you. We were after more of a country kitchen feel, so this worked better for us.
Just take your time and a few days later you will have a brand new kitchen for a couple of hundred euro, good luck

Excellent advice from Kitchen Index.'Lay on' with foam roller,'Lay off' i.e. even out with a good quality brush.Invest in a good quality brush!The best you can get!

I'm wondering if the above advice would work for my kitchen cupboard doors. The reason I ask is that they're the shaker style and I'm not even sure what the wood is. Currently it has a very smooth slippy finish (to the touch). Is that due to some varnish that was put on the cupboard doors initially, or what? Will that smooth slippy finish take the paint (and will it require the very fine sandpapering as above)? Would appreciate advice from anyone who understands what sort of doors I'm talking about by my above description. Thanks.

If it's not wood, don't try sandpaper or you'll make a bags of the door.

You could use Easy Surface Primer to make a bond for the paint to stick to.

Colortrend eggshell finish is great for painting furniture.

Hi, I was surprised to find a kitchen thread here lol. I was wondering how the results went? Did the above advice work, I'm very interested because my wife wants me to do our kitchen too, now I'm getting a bit nervous about it out kitchen was very expensive do you have any pics you could post?

I think Ronseal do a paint purposely for painting over kitchen doors. It has primer included.

I did mine with satin wood, took about 3 coats over a light coloured wood (veneer) to white. Took about 2 weeks a few presses a day and 3 years later it still looks great, no chipping. So glad I did it.

Back