Painting Interior of New Build - Reasonable Cost €?

der69737

Hi

What would be a reasonable cost for preparing and painting ceilings, interior walls, doors and skirting in a new build. The flooring is in place but no fittings yet. House 2700sqr ft. I will supply paint. Have asked for quotes but only one back so far - €6,000 (incl paint).

Thanks

If you are in the greater Dublin area I can pm you the name of a guy that I use who will most likely do it for a lot less than that! I have used him 3 times over the past few years with great results. LS.

I know someone who has ad 2 quotes recently to paint the ground floor of a 1300 sqft house and also the hall stairs and landing €3200 and €4500 both excluding paint.

I know someone who has ad 2 quotes recently to paint the ground floor of a 1300 sqft house and also the hall stairs and landing €3200 and €4500 both excluding paint.

a mate of mine is getting the interior painted of a new build in south Laois (just outside Errill) and the painter they are getting to do the job is charging them €100 per day. i forget the sq. footage but the job is going to take roughly a month to do (pretty big house...and i mean big). my mate has to supply the paint. so roughly speaking the job is going to cost at least €3000-€3100 perhaps even more if it takes a bit longer.

Thanks for the info. Meeting another painter tonight and at the weekend, so will have a better idea then.

Is it totally out of the question to do it yourselves. We are nearing the end of our painting of new build, 2250 sq ft The filling and sanding bits were a pain, but the painting is not too bad, and the job satisfaction is tops. We did it over stages, upstairs first and now on down stairs. Looks like we saved a fortune, at that rate it paid for my new ride on, taking delivery this sat.

Secman

We only work on it at weekends, as we are based in Dublin during the week. Upstairs took 3/4 weekends and downstairs will prob be the same. Last wekend we were only saying that if i took a week off, we would definitely get downstairs finished. As its a hol home, we are under no great rush.

Secman

In my opinion that is crazy money. 6000€ excluding paint for the interior only. I know you cant beat a professional, but seriously shop around, especially now with less work around for these guys.

I am getting the outside of a shed plastered, and some of the quotes I got - well they were chancing their arms. The customer should now be in the driving seat for a change when it comes to trades' men.

What about doing it yourself, or doing only the rooms you will hneed at the start and paint as you go along?

Is it totally out of the question to do it yourselves. We are nearing the end of our painting of new build, 2250 sq ft The filling and sanding bits were a pain, but the painting is not too bad, and the job satisfaction is tops. We did it over stages, upstairs first and now on down stairs. Looks like we saved a fortune, at that rate it paid for my new ride on, taking delivery this sat.

Secman

agreed - for the life of me i can't understand how anyone (even my mate) will pay somebody to paint his interior. it is not like it all has to be done straight away. tackle it room by room.

my usual advice for new builds is make sure you can p, s & w in the bathroom, cook in the kitchen & at least one room for sleeping in. then tackle the rest of the house room by room.

painting is not that difficult a job, especially if you take your time.

still some people....more money than sense

agreed - for the life of me i can't understand how anyone (even my mate) will pay somebody to paint his interior. it is not like it all has to be done straight away. tackle it room by room.

my usual advice for new builds is make sure you can p, s & w in the bathroom, cook in the kitchen & at least one room for sleeping in. then tackle the rest of the house room by room.

painting is not that difficult a job, especially if you take your time.

still some people....more money than sense

Laoisfan less of the attitude please! We have taken both approaches and I can definitely say I'm in the "get it done by a professional" camp. The guy we got to do ours did a fantastic job and has finished it off much better than we ever could. Sure ye can try it yerself but if you want a really good finish then personally we would not have finished as well as our painter did. And cost wise, the time it would have taken us to do would have been much more expensive than getting somebody else to do it for us so we're happy with our decision!

Laoisfan less of the attitude please! We have taken both approaches and I can definitely say I'm in the "get it done by a professional" camp. The guy we got to do ours did a fantastic job and has finished it off much better than we ever could. Sure ye can try it yerself but if you want a really good finish then personally we would not have finished as well as our painter did. And cost wise, the time it would have taken us to do would have been much more expensive than getting somebody else to do it for us so we're happy with our decision!

well as long as you are happy with spending the money & the finish that is the important thing. it is your decision at the end of the day.

my own opinion is that painting is not that difficult a job and if people take their time they too can achieve a really good finish, just as good if not equal that a professional painter.

attitude? are you serious? sorry while i break into laugher here before i click submit :D

jeeeezzzzz some people.

Just to be clear..The quote for €6000 includes paint... but I intend to buy the paint myself ...

Met different painter this evening. Quote for Labour only : €2900. Seems closer to the mark. Still awaiting another quote.

Is there any such thing as a per sq foot cost calculator for painting?

Haven't spotted one...

Anyone any rough idea of an average cost, similar to the way you'd get a rough idea for a building cost...

Back