Paint Recommendation

S

smans

Need advice on Paint. Live in house 3 years and the paint was painted by builders - watered down Magnolia :) before we moved in.

When we wash/wipe down walls from kids etc., the paint is so thin, it is dissolving from the walls.

I wish to repaint it now myself and i would appreciate anyone with experience as i'd like to get a thick based paint for the walls that could be washable/wiped down to an extent etc.

Dulux or Crown are good paints, spend the extra for the washable emulsion if its available in the colour that you like

Colortrend all the way.

Haven't used anything else inside or out for 20 years.

Dries fast, brushes can be washed in water (even the 'high shine' type you'd use for wood work), you can paint radiators/woodwork in the same paint, which is what I do and best of all its completely scrubbable.

They have an outlet in Celbridge - staff are very helpful.

I think there are some excellent vinyl matt and vinyl silk paints available.

In paint as with all thing properly preparing the surface is essential.

ONQ.

Would also recommend Colortrend, only paint I've used that you can touch up with later and blends perfectly. Using it to paint outside of our house, when the temperatures pickup that is.

Hi,
Just completed a lot of painting in our house. We built ourselves and started off with plain white. This time round, we went for Dulux easycare in the kitchen, in pantry green (horrible in the tester pot, great on the walls). Its washable, and as I have a 3 year old, that's important!
Dulux easycare in the hall too - linen.
Went for dulux moda in the sitting room in creme brulee.
Both the moda and easycare are easy to apply and quite thick. In the sitting room (5x5 metre room) One 5l can was sufficient - it got two coats, but one would have done, and there's some left over

Another plus for Colortrend. Changed from Dulux (not that there was anything wrong with it!) a few years ago and have been using it since.

I've wondered about this.

I do solid wood cabinets and use Zinsser BIN primer and F&B topcoats. We fit the cabinets and mask both the cabinet and the wall so that we can use decorators caulk on the small gap.

Removing the masking tape from the wooden cabinet is no problem.. however removing the masking tape from painted and plastered wall often removes the paint.

Why is this? I feel it's because the base coats on the wall didn't adhere or stick well to the plaster.. and so the first coat of paint fails. If someone has painted over the dodgy first coat then the first coat will still fail and come off the wall.

So my point is.. builders will always use the cheapest paints, but perhaps the first coats are the most important, and so skimping on these means that you are forever stuck with a non-well-adhered first coat.

What do professionals say about this? Is the first coat on new plaster important?, or even the most important coat?

What effect does scrimping on the first coat mean for the future, and for future coats? Would people be better off not having the builder use cheap paints, and instead just pay more for better undercoats? Does adodgy first coat have a negative effect for ever?, even when overpainted with quality paints?

Going back to bare plaster after a cheap coat of paint has been done seems inpractical...

Back