Paid dealer for car - don't want it now.

galway_blow_in

I paid for a demo model car today, price is good and I am hoping to apply for a local area Hackney licence as the cost for this kind of licence is not expensive and the criteria not as strict as for a general Hackney licence or a taxi licence

Unfortunately I wasn’t aware of the fact that the luggage space ( boot ) is too small as to be eligible for a Hackney according to the NTA website, this greatly surprised me as the car is not an especially small one but I suppose boot space is disproportionately small

I’ve emailed the dealer an hour ago as I will speak to the NTA in the morning but I was wondering if my reasons for not proceeding ( if my suspicions are confirmed by the NTA ) are valid enough to compel the dealer to return my cheque? , I discussed my intention to use the car for Hackney work locally with the dealer, I don’t blame him for being unaware that the car appears ineligible? but it’s not like my reasons for perhaps wanting to cancel are contrived

I know cancelling a cheque invites trouble so hopefully that won’t be at all a necessary consideration but could the dealer refuse to return the cheque?

I know cancelling a cheque invites trouble so hopefully that won’t be at all a necessary consideration but could the dealer refuse to return the cheque?
What does your sales agreement say? I know your reasons are sincere but they are totally irrelevant in the eyes of the vendor.

Otherwise cars shift off the forecourt very quickly these days so the dealer may not be too bothered.

I don't think it applies to cars purchased off a forecourt, or cars generally.

If the dealer is wise he'll know you're a sincere buyer and looking for a hackney compliant car - would you be happy to allow the cheque to be used essentially as a credit note with the same dealer?

You should talk to the dealer because he might be ok with you not going ahead with the purchase.

I suspect that if you bounce the cheque first, he will be very annoyed.

Brendan
Hi Brendan, I was not considering bouncing the cheque unless the reaction is extremely confrontational , I think it might actually be ok as the criteria doesn’t seem to apply to local area Hackney licence, I’ve phoned the NTA and they are to get back to me later with clarification, situation appears less problematic this morning, it’s quite silly how they disqualify some cars , I mean plenty of cars would make fine taxis even they can’t take five suitcases

If the dealer is wise he'll know you're a sincere buyer and looking for a hackney compliant car - would you be happy to allow the cheque to be used essentially as a credit note with the same dealer?
No , for the simple reason the waiting period for other EV Kia’s is twelve months, I happened across this six month old demo model, a used EV is extremely difficult to source and I’m not buying a Tesla for Hackney work

I'm basing this on a conversation with a taxi driver in Dublin years ago, but he told me a smaller boot space was allowed for EVs, in his case a Leaf.
I read that on the NTA site too yet the car I’m buying is down on the list of eligible cars as a “ fail “

Sounds like it's a car that will be easy to sell on to someone else. If the dealer was clever (s)he'd give a full refund and keep a potential customer happy.

Sounds like it's a car that will be easy to sell on to someone else. If the dealer was clever (s)he'd give a full refund and keep a potential customer happy.
I spoke to the dealer in the past twenty minutes, he will happily refund me the entire if the NTA say the car isn’t eligible, unfortunately the NTA say it takes up to ten days for a response ?

Dealer did say he “ would contact me in the meantime if anyone else interested in the car “ so I took that to mean he will drop me at first sign of an uncompromised customer, hopefully the NTA are back soon but I don’t think I should proceed until I know for sure despite being gut certain the car is ok for my purpose

Op - can I ask what’s a rough cost on getting a hackney up and running ??
It’s many a year since I’ve even heard about hackneys

Too many variables/underwriting criteria involved to compare insurance premiums like that. Apples and oranges.

Back