Paid about half quoted price for kitchen. Now they want more before they fit it.

Noilheart

I have ordered a new kitchen from xyz Ltd and they are supposed to fit next week.

I have twice received a letter from them stating that I will have to pay a certain amount when they arrive to fit the kitchen otherwise they won't be fitting it. I have already paid about half the quoted cost of the kitchen incl appliances.

The problem is I am finding they are not very informative when it comes to my end of things, such as - have the appliances I ordered arrived at their store yet? Emails not replied to etc. Or what to do about old pipework.

I called in there today and while the people I spoke to were polite and tried to be helpful they could not confirm that they have the appliances I ordered as the warehouse was closed.

I think they are a bit too forward with money demands but I have no guarantee that I will get the goods ordered.

Just wondering if anyone here had dealings with them previously.

Pay by credit card and check with your provider about financial security provided before doing so.

Have you not signed some sort of order or agreement with them? I did with my kitchen fitters.

So far you have paid a 50% deposit, which is standard, and they have reminded you twice that the kitchen won't be fitted until it's fully paid for. This seems fair enough and is my experience using a different company. (I used credit card to pay the deposit. )

As for the appliances, their whereabouts at the moment is really not an issue. Asking about them seems like an unusual query for me and not something the shop staff would readily know. Obviously if they don't show up with the kitchen next week that's a problem, but there's no reason to assume the worst right now.

I'm not sure there is a real problem here?

Hi Skybox,

I did sign a docket, but the appliance model numbers or brand is not shown on it. There is a lady there who is in charge of ordering the appliances and she gave me a docket showing the model numbers and brand names of the ones I want. I called in there today and she could not confirm that she had the appliances I ordered and said she would ring me later, but did not do so. I am not happy about this as the fitting date is on Tuesday and they expect me to part with thousands on the day. I need the assurance that the apppliances I ordered will be available. Particularly the cooker, as I previously tried to order it from DID but they said it would be months before they could get it in from England.

Last edited:
It looks simple enough to me: when they bring the kitchen for installation, the appliances should also be brought. When you verify that, you should be prepared to pay the amount requested. If the appliances are delayed, you should delay the appropriate part of the contracted price.

The appliances are not due until Wednesday, they want all the money (bar about €500) on Tuesday. I want confirmation, before I pay out any more money, that the appliances I ordered are available. I have previously had bad experience with Mastercare where they tried to fob off a different model washing machine on me. I think it doesn't add up that they cannot, at this late stage, tell the the position.

I think it doesn't add up that they cannot, at this late stage, tell the the position.

I would agreed. A fool and their money are easily parted. Better to sort issues now (if they are going to be any) than after they'v the money.

Equally I would have no problem in any company requesting even 100% of the money before delivery. Previously we ordered a full unit of doors from a joinery which were fully glazed. I was to pay the monies owed the day before delivery or the morning of (if I wanted to see the units before transport). I went in the day before expecting to see the units all made. However no glass, they had no problem in driving me to another factory to check the glass etc. I drove myself and all glass correct on measuring etc.

Ask to speak to manager etc for peace of mind.

Thanks Sandals. I did speak to the manager when I called in on Saturday but he did not seem to know anything about my kitchen. I will try yet again tomorrow.

Only pay them when you see the appliances are the ones you ordered. I know of somebody who had problems with Tierney Kitchens having paid the full amount. They had a lot of chasing to do ... emails not answered, faxes missing, calls not returned etc.

At this point in time, let them deliver your kitchen and appliances. Then pay them and if they don't fit it, get somebody else to fit it. There are plenty of people / tradesmen well capable to fit kitchens, who simply have no work.

I'd prefer to get someone else to fit my kitchen rather than have o new kitchen at all.

Without scaring you, but this entire sounds a bit smelly. Print off all of this thread and send it to your solicitor' cos I do think you're going to need their services (and not to install the kitchen).

Make a comprehensive note of times and dates and conversations you have had with these people.

Having family in that line of business myself, that sounds most strange. And no, you won't be paying for the kitchen in full before it is completed to your satisfaction...

Hi Mercman,

Sorry but I don't understand where you're coming from.. this is not a question of them not fitting the kitchen, but it is a matter of whether they have the correct appliances. Its a bit early to even think of solicitors.

I'm coming from the angle that if you pay for the appliances and they don't deliver, you're going to be out of pocket. I know nothing about the company you have stated so it is wrong to cast aspersions against them, but you have paid a large proportion for the kitchen already. As you have not got a Credit Card, you wouldn't have any 'Insurance' if things go wrong.

They decided to sell you the appliances, but payment is required first !! A bit strange IMO, especially in these times.

Having family in that line of business myself, that sounds most strange. And no, you won't be paying for the kitchen in full before it is completed to your satisfaction...

There is an amount of €517 which they say is finally due on completion of the kitchen, but that is only a small fraction of what the kitchen is costing so its not much of an insurance if things go wrong.

I'm coming from the angle that if you pay for the appliances and they don't deliver, you're going to be out of pocket. I know nothing about the company you have stated so it is wrong to cast aspersions against them, but you have paid a large proportion for the kitchen already. As you have not got a Credit Card, you wouldn't have any 'Insurance' if things go wrong.

They decided to sell you the appliances, but payment is required first !! A bit strange IMO, especially in these times.

Ok i see what you mean now. I dont want to cast aspersions against them yet either, but they have communicated very poorly with me and not addressed my concerns. Phonecalls, emails, etc go unanswered. Even calling in there on Saturday was no good really. I asked for an invoice and the ones they sent is quoting the kitchen I picked initially and not showing the one I subsequently changed to. I am feeling very jittery about tomorrow now as there seems to no co-ordination between the staff there. And this is so important to me, but they seem to have a kind of Celtic Tiger attitude where only the big people matter and my kitchen is only €7,000 +

its not much of an insurance if things go wrong.

And this is the point I've been trying to make,

I'd say you might be best advising them that you'll pay for the appliances when they are on your property. Simple as that.

my kitchen is only €7,000 +

That's a lot of wedge in these times. As I said yesterday this sounds a bit smelly. I really do think that if there is no show tomorrow, you'd be best to advise your solicitor, and without any delay.

Let us know if there's any issue after the install tomorrow.

IMO talk of solicitors etc at this stage where they haven't even arrived to fit it is a bit much....

Just checked the figures, the kitchen is to cost 7,315 euros, I have paid 4,471 euro, but I have received no proper invoice, only statement and assertive letter saying all but 517 euro must be paid when fitters arrive. Sent several emails this morning, no reply. They are arriving tomorrow and want 2,327 on the spot according to their most recent "communication". I Really want just to cancel and be done with them. before I get too caught up with them.

Back