Paddy Power and the dole

Liamos

Heard an interesting item on Newstalk this morning that one of Germany's States has decided to ban people who are in receipt of social welfare from gambling.

From RTE website:

"The court decision confirms a March ruling which said Westlotto should refuse to take sporting bets from punters 'who bet money far in excess of their revenues,' especially those receiving minimum social security benefits."

Should it be implemented here?

The first rule of gambling is

"Never bet more than you can afford to lose"

so considering the level of handouts for people on social welfare (rent allowance, medical cards, etc etc) perhaps it is people on low incomes who shouldn't be allowed to have a bet!

Sorry but what do Paddy Power have to do with this story, why isn't it headed gambling and the dole?

How does Westlotto (or Paddy Power or any other bookie for that matter), know the revenue of the people placing the bets? Do you have to show a wage slip, proof of PPS number and proof of address to place a bet these days?

How would it be implemented, would you need ID saying you are not on the dole in order to bet!

The suggestion is a bit too big brother imo.
By the same reasoning should people be prevented from buying alcohol/junk food/going out to the cinema with social welfare payments?
The same argument could be made that these aren't neccessary purchases and are for pleasure.

The OP's statement about the German state ruling is correct

The rest of it is a bit of a laugh I suppose

Maybe go the whole hog and for those of us unfortunate enough to be out of work AND, god forbid, claiming SW should be forced to wear sack-cloths, carry a bell to warn we are approaching and made to forage in the wild for food :rolleyes:

Maybe go the whole hog and for those of us unfortunate enough to be out of work AND, god forbid, claiming SW should be forced to wear sack-cloths, carry a bell to warn we are approaching and made to forage in the wild for food :rolleyes:

Ill be objecting to you foraging in the wild, Id prefer to see you foraging in the 'tame' - going through bins in suburban areas - the more you forage out of each bin the less the waste disposal costs, in fact you could offer it as a kind of public service if you wished and get an extra 20 cent per week in your dole for it?

I dont mind if you wear old clothes out of the bins instead of sackcloths either, and if you are going to be wearing the bell could you limit the foraging to non anti social hours please. Thanks.

Ill be objecting to you foraging in the wild, Id prefer to see you foraging in the 'tame' - going through bins in suburban areas - the more you forage out of each bin the less the waste disposal costs, in fact you could offer it as a kind of public service if you wished and get an extra 20 cent per week in your dole for it?

I dont mind if you wear old clothes out of the bins instead of sackcloths either, and if you are going to be wearing the bell could you limit the foraging to non anti social hours please. Thanks.

You've put a lot of thought into this haven't you?;)

There is a groundswell of opinion that the unemployed should act always in a subserviant way i.e look miserable as often as possible and how dare you enjoy yourselves while we work.

I have no problem with anybody gambling in a responsible way.

So only those working (presumably with more money) should be able to win the Lotto..that's a bit mad Ted

Some welfare payments in the USA are not cash, instead you get a debit card that can only be used to buy certain goods.

Back