P60s prior to 2019 - keep or shred?

emeralds

Started a clear out of old documentation last night and found P60s which were given to us prior to 2019. Is there any need to keep them? We do an annual tax return via ROS every year.

Keep until you claim the State Pension.
Longer, even.

In the mid-2000s, thousands of predominantly elderly people found themselves being investigated by Revenue on foot of they, their spouses or their parents having Northern Irish, overseas or bogus non-resident accounts. Those who had maintained even skeletal records of for example employments as far back as the 1970s and even earlier found it a lot easier to cite these as evidence of legitimate taxed income, and these people typically got off lighter than those with no records and nothing to prove their innocence.

With GDPR and wider corporate trends towards deleting very old data, there is no guarantee that Revenue or anyone else will have retained current information if it is suddenly needed in say 30 years time.

Scan and save a digital copy.
This is what I did, fortunately, as I needed them recently when selling my house in order to get a Certificate of Exemption from NPPR (Non-Principal Private Residence) Charge by showing that I resided in the property during the years 2011, 2012 and 2013 - Revenue documentation is one of the acceptable forms of proof.

I have all my p60s since I started working and I would say every tax return copy from the old manual days! They don't take up that much space.

On a similar another note I am helping someone at the moment who is due a small work pension since January, however they were asked by the company for p60 or other proof of income for 2006/07/08, they happened to have 06/07 but not 08 as I suspect they were unemployed for end of year, anyways still waiting for letter or some documentation as proof of income from Revenue. When I did manage to get through by phone I was told I had to put that request in writing and send to particular dept which I did with copy letter from pension provider, not a sign of a reply since! Keep you own records if you can.

I have all my p60s since I started working and I would say every tax return copy from the old manual days! They don't take up that much space.

On a similar another note I am helping someone at the moment who is due a small work pension since January, however they were asked by the company for p60 or other proof of income for 2006/07/08, they happened to have 06/07 but not 08 as I suspect they were unemployed for end of year, anyways still waiting for letter or some documentation as proof of income from Revenue. When I did manage to get through by phone I was told I had to put that request in writing and send to particular dept which I did with copy letter from pension provider, not a sign of a reply since! Keep you own records if you can.
We had a request during lockdown from an ex-employee of a former client company which had gone out of business 15 years earlier. They were really anxious for confirmation of their employment for 2 particular years as they badly needed the PRSI credits for a pension claim. We were delighted to find an old file and confirmed the employment particulars in a brief letter which the DSP happily accepted. Had that information been destroyed in the meantime, the worker would have lost out.

I though I had everything back to 2000 but recently found the prior ones in a folder going all the way back to my first P60 for 1976 ! First payslip is also there.

I keep all that type of stuff. I needed 3 x p60's showing my highest earnings per year in a 10 year period for tax relief on a redundancy payment.

Back