P45 final wages

A pal of mine left their job last week after three years of service, they gave a month's notice and a letter to their Financial Director that they wanted their P45 and salary/holidays paid before or on the evening they left.

This was also presented in writing and confirmed to my pal; on the last day about three he checked his bank balance.

No funds were in his bank, he enquired about his money and he was told that they would need to make up his salary, he could not get a P45 on the end of the month and that his wages and holidays would clear up also.

This is problematic as he is travelling abroad for one year (but working for an Irish based comp), needs his P45 to start his new job and will have to get his money wired to him, which will cost a few quid.

Is there anything he could do to put pressure on his former employer , really miffed that they told him it would be sorted before he left then shafted him on his last day

Hi 90210

Whenever an employee leaves our company, I try to make sure that they are paid on the last day and get a p45. If it's a few days until the end of the month, I ask them if it's ok to wait for the monthly payroll and usually it is.

Having said that, we often have to wait weeks and sometimes two months to get p45s from old employers for previous employees.

Your friend's case is very typical. There is no question of him being shafted. It's just plain lack of efficiency. There would be a number of steps involved in calculating the last payroll. His line manager would probably have to approve some holiday calculation. The payroll clerk would have had to input it and do the calculations. The FD would have had to approve the payment. In a large company, this process could not really start until he has left and would take a few days.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan

I suppose he will just have to wait and not get too stressed about it.

Back